Override Referesh rate option gone

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by onimkron, Mar 12, 2005.

1. onimkron

onimkron OSNN Senior Addict

Just recently installed the new WHQ forceare drivers (71.84) from Nvidia's website. For some odd reason though, the 'refresh rate overide' option seems to have disappeared from my graphics card settings menu (the place where performance and quality settings can be found).

I'm running a 6800GT card. Previous drivers were quite old, dared sometime November 2004. Ran drivecleaner, new drivers seemed to install fine. Any help will be appreciated :)

2. zeke_mo

zeke_mo (value not set) Staff Member Political User Folding Team

onimkron likes this.
  3. onimkron

Great, cheers for that! I'll give it a try later today :)

4. trainmaster77

trainmaster77 Moderator Political User Folding Team

hey does overriding the refresh rate offer any risks or what would be the benefit. this dell i have is 1600/1200 dvi @60hertz. i see with the forceware i can jack it past 200.

Someone help me out on this plz?

5. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

You can indeed damage your monitor if you run it @ a higher refresh then it can handle for the resolution you want. Most newer monitors have protection letting you pick something out of it's limits (usally greated w/ a black screen for a few secounds till it auto-reverts back) but you never know. :p Your best bet would be to check the manual for your monitor and see what it can handle @ the resolution you wanna use.

6. onimkron

I'm not entirely sure on this, so a bit of googling might be your best bet. From experience though, if I'm running Half Life at 800x600, the default resoltuion set by Win XP is 60mhz...which makes it horrible on the eye when playing mods like DoD. What I usually do is set the refresh rate maunally to 85/100, turn off Vsync and set fps_max to at least 80. Doesn't hurt my eye as much, and increases the fps :)

On most newer games these days, you can set the refresh rate inside the options screen. Freedom Force 2 and The Sims 2 has this option I think.

The tweak worked by the way, great stuff! Not sure how it initially disappeared from the menu..but it's there now, so I'm not complaining :)