Overheating?!?

Okay I opened up the PSU again and took out the fan part and tried to remove the piece with the propellars and it wouldn't come out all the way I pushed and pulled but not with all my strength I didn't want to break it so I put it back together and now the fan is turning. It's not turning as fast as my case fans are but its turning and since its not going as fast as the case fans my next question is, "Is it supposed to spin faster or is it supposed to spin at a slow constant rate?"

I've heard using a PC with a bad PSU can fry everything the motherboard and cpu if this is true I don't know how much longer I'm going to try tweaking with this PSU...

The PSU fans are 12V just like the case fans. OPen the PSU cover and swap the fan out with one from the case. Solder the wires on or crimp them to the wires on the new fan. Black to black, red to red. Don't just twist the wire together.

Plan B, if you don't feel good about opening the PSU, is to attach an 80 MM fan to the back of the Case over the PSU fan (blowing outward). Duct tape it in place and leave the side cover off so you can run a 12V molex out to it.

Been, there done this. It used to be required about every 12 months back in the 1990's the PSU fans were crap.

The Power Fan should turn at about 1200 rpm (more or less). Plus it should have a third wire going to the fan (the speed sensor). Post the brand name of your PSU. Then we can look up some specs on it.

dude just get another PSU!!! :mad:

you can keep the old one and jump it so that it can be used to run all your case fans and lighting. that is if it works.....

I hate to say it, but if you aren't comfortable working in the PSU and don't know what to touch, etc...it's best not to. Replacing the fan (assuming all else is good) is a cheaper solution then buying a whole new PSU. And yes an ordinary case fan can be used... Problem is, it's a high voltage environment (compared to the rest of the computer) and as the capacitors aren't discharged most likely...

But yes it might take a little doing to get it out, and as it might be soldered, you might need to deal with that in getting the old fan out... BTW, depending on your cooling setup (for instance if you have air intake in the front of the PC), when installing a new fan, you might want to just turn it around, so the front of the fan faces the other way (so it blows air out of the case, rather then sucks)... This could help, as the air going through the PSU can heat up and this warm air can be dumped on the CPU... But whatever you do in this regard...keep the air flow consistent, so the fans aren't pulling or pushing air in competing directions/aka working against each other...

Yeah, personally i recomend having one or two more fans sucking air in then out, this helps to create a sort of postive potential which puts a little bit more swirl in the circulation and also prevents a lot of dust from accumulating.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back