Overclocking barton 2500+

Y

Yngwie_II

Hey guys
I was wanting to know about overclocking the
AMD barton 2500+. I have a asus a7n8x motherboard.
With the 1002.A bios. Not Uber though.
I would like to know the absolutely easiest totally safest
way to do it. So i guess the best way (if possible) would be
to just install the chip, go in bios, put 200mhz and have
my ram sync onto it (i have ddr400) and then click safe changes.
I have read so many different ways, some easy like that, others
saying you have to unlock this and that, and need special
tools to measure this and that. I'm not really good with that, and
no matter how simple they write it (i just read the CHIP overclock
to 3600+ thing, don't understand crap of it) I never feel comfortable
to do it. Could anyone tell me the safest easiest way, and what
exactly needs to happen to what, and if other agp values need
to be changed, stuff like that.

Thx a lot

Yngwie II

Read the instructions carefully. The only way you will gain the ability and confidence to overclock is simply to do it.:)

I'm sure you will be guided in your overclocking adventures by the great people at NTFS.org. Happy overclock - Snook out!

I suggest u just leave it alone, its a 2500+ for cryin out loud, if u where smart u would leave it alone. if not this is the only way your gonna be able to do it :p

go ino your bios and up your FSB from 166 to whatever go a few mhz at a time so from 166 to like 170 then go back into windows play some games for an hour or so and see if your pc crashes. if not keep bringing it up until it does crash or won't boot into windows. then back it off to the last working setting you had IE 170. and when your computer becomes unstable you COULD up the Vcore to make it stable again but your getting alot more risky there but as I said b4 u should just leave it alone. :confused:

http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/guides/cpu_oc_guide/index.shtml

Thats a good starting point to give you an idea what its all about

The safest way it to up the muliplier mine is spose to be 11.5X133 fsb at vcore 1.5v

I run My Athlon1800+ at 12.5X138fsb and Vcore 1.55 needed just a tad on the vcore to get stable so my 1800+ is not longer 1.53ghz its 1.73 ghz same as the 2100+

So first thing is to look in bios see if you can up the mulitplier then after you have tested it check temps .... go back and start uping the FSB 1-2 mhz at a time always testing with benchmarks under stress for a while ....keep eye on temps ..... the temps tend to jump as you pump up the Vcore which you need to do after adding to the FSB .... there is also to keep in mind that the AGP/PCI will jump up with the FSB and if youre mothboard allows it you can change the divider keeping AGP/PCI in a safer range

Be very carefull with the VCORE nugde it up a little at a time also before going to far learn how to get out of a jam if you over clock and you cant boot or get a screen .... what key do you need to hit to reset?? me its the insert key on booting up if I hold that it will default allowing me to re-enter my bios and re adjust my settings

Have fun good luck be warned its adictive :cool:

So when you up the multiplier and the FSB, you
have to also up the ram voltage, the cpu vcore, the
agp voltage, and the pci and agp dividers? are there
specific upings? is it like mathematically logical or something,
so that when you up this 100 mhz you have to up that
.05 or something?

By the way, thx for that page, i'm reading it now, it's
a bit outdated though... with pentiums and celerons :D

just increase your fsb bit by bit like krux said. once you get to a point where your system is unstable (crashes, unusual behavior), you can either increase the core voltage a little bit or lower the fsb back down to the last stable setting.

if you increase the voltage, be sure to keep an eye on the temperature as increasing the voltage directly increases the amount of heat created.

The best way is to see if you can change the multiplier first

then work on your fsb as was said just go up 1-2 mhz at a time testing in between when you hit a point where it acts wacky ( have to stress the system to get an idea) then you can add .25 volts or .50 volts to the Vcore ... my board allows me to add .25 at a time to the Vcore the fsb I type in the 3 digit value ... no two cpu's will overclock the same way ... its all trail and error ... if you have access to the AGP/PCI dividers thats great because if you crank up the FSB the AGP/PCI rates raise at the same time and if you want a really high FSB you need to have access to the dividers to lower the AGP/PCI rates .... not all boards will give you the option to do this .....as for RAM you need to be able to lower the timings in RAM also because they will raise with the FSB sometimes instead of using a CAS 2 setting going to CAS 3 will help ...yes that site is outdated but its the same logic

no one has reinvented the wheel as far as I know !! lol

keep reading but remember you need to know how to get out of a JAM find out what key combo will save your a@@ before you start cranking up anything ... like I said me its INSERT that will reset me to a default and let me back into my machine THIS IS CRITICAL to know before you start fudgeing around

thx for the replies,
is there no way to get it to 200mhz without changing
any voltages at all though? and just setting the agp
and pci dividers?

ok thx i'll take a look,
maybe i'll post there too.
Laterz

thx for all the help guys

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back