overclocking a Celeron 1.2ghz CPU

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ajsx15, Jun 27, 2002.

1. ajsx15

ajsx15 Guest

i am wondering if anyone can help me overclock my celeron 1.2ghz processor. if anyone can help, please do.

2. [CpK]Bastid

[CpK]Bastid Guest

dunno how to overclock myself but why would u wanna overclock a celeron? just for kicks?

i not makin fun or anything just wondering:)

3. vdubVR6

vdubVR6 Guest

what kind of motherboard do you have? or is this a store bought pc.

4. vdubVR6

vdubVR6 Guest

well [CpK]Bastid i used to go to this o/c forum and they would say how celeron processors were not all that bad to o/c you just had to watch them with overheating. but were still reliable, of course i would never buy an intel processor, but thats besides the point.

:cool:

5. ajsx15

ajsx15 Guest

well its store bought. its actually a gateway. from what i hear too celerons arent that bad. like at 1.2ghz its pretty quick. i am trying to overclock to 1.3ghz. i just need to get some basic info how to do it. like how to change the multiplier and how much to increase the voltage.

6. vdubVR6

vdubVR6 Guest

hmm since it is a gateway chances are that your not going to be able to o/c, pc makers like to set it up so that you cant change settings on the processors. if you are intrested though there are a lot of good info. and links at overclockers.com,

7. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

yeah, i really doubt a gateway bios will let you change the multiplier or fsb. go look and let us know otherwise, though.

vdubvr6: jetta or gti?

8. ajsx15

ajsx15 Guest

is there i a way i can change the bois or update it?

fuckkkkk i want to OVERCLOCK!!!!

9. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

i really doubt any kind of bios chip transplant is possible... you could buy a new board? }:\

10. ajsx15

ajsx15 Guest

i hear i can increase the fsb with a program called SoftFSB. i was wondering if i would have to change any voltage setting and i was wondering if that program would run on XP. also, will my processor get alot hotter?

11. Gary Pandher

Gary Pandher Moderator

from what i know
    it will run with windows xp
    and the cpu will get hotter because it is working at a higher speed
    but not that much hotter...
    it is only a celeron..
    and it probably has good enouf cooling to get up to 1.3 ghz
    you'll need to change the fsb in increments of 1 and test to see if it is stable..
    i dont know wat most celerons can run up to (fsb)...but u can probably find out from someone here..

12. vdubVR6

vdubVR6 Guest

you can try sofware but it could confilct w/ your bios. i had an older gateway and they do have flas bios to d/l but i dont suggest you do that unless you really know what you are doing bc you could really screw the pc up.but if you want to you can try it they have some d/l that will let you o/c just talk to the tech support guy through there chat service he/she should help you. but you best bet if you really want to o/c is to get yourself an o/c mobo like from asus or msi something like that. o and try to remember if you do o/c make sure you have proper cooling.:D

13. ajsx15

ajsx15 Guest

anyone know where i can find SoftFSB, i looked all over, but none of the downloads work, cuz the author doesnt allow to it be downloaded from his server anymore. i need like a mirror or something, or someone that has it and can send me it. and if it conflicted with my bios how much damage can it do?

14. ajsx15

ajsx15 Guest

ok i got softfsb now. but i was wondering if i have to change any voltages or anything to my ram or anything else.

15. ajsx15

ajsx15 Guest

OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!! damnit. when i load softfsb it says.. "Can not find SMBus address!! "

also it dont know what kind of motherboard i have. so what do i do. can i just select any motherboard? according to sisoftware sandra 2002, i have an Intel motherboard modem D815EFVU, i dont see that on SoftFSB though. what should i do?? are there any other appz like SoftFSB i can get, if so what are they?

16. vdubVR6

vdubVR6 Guest

:D taurus i have a passat vr6, verry nice thats my baby:p r u a vdub fan!?

and ajsx15 try not to change the voltage unles your system becomes unstable then you might want to consider up the volts but remember when you up the volts you must have proper cooling bc you processor will heat up quick, just take it slow and you will be good to go.:cool:

17. Gary Pandher

Gary Pandher Moderator

its probably a
    D815
    or something close to that
    try to find it in the list

18. ajsx15

ajsx15 Guest

sorry i accidently posted a new thread not new reply, please discard the new thread

i need to figure out what to do to increase the fsb, i need some help with softfsb or any other program, if you can help, please do. thanks

19. vdubVR6

vdubVR6 Guest

if your bios isnt in there i wouldnt try to force it might not work(your motherboard at all), but try gateway.com and see if they have the specs of your mobo(the exact motherboard name) they might also have a driver for you mobo to change the settings, they do have good tech support but if you d/l and install the flash bios it will void your warrenty.

20. Iceman

Iceman Moderator

man, overclocking a celeron is like putting on a turbo muffler and a rear spoiler on a Geo Metro. Sure it sounds better and looks better, but it's still a Geo Metro.

your not going to see that much of a gain, plus your going to have to watch the heat on that thing, just so u know.