Outlook XP

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by canadian_divx, Jan 7, 2003.

1. canadian_divx

canadian_divx Canadian_divx

ok my OUTLOOK XP takes a long time to load the prog even before checking the e-mail, would this be because of the splash screen? and if so how do i disable it?
    and if not then what else could cause it?

2. dabomb

dabomb Moderator

i used to have that problem, i restarted and it went away...... ;)

3. canadian_divx

canadian_divx Canadian_divx

i ahve restarteed many times, done sys checks, defeag, reinstalled office, and i think my pc can handle outlook so i am clue less on what to do

4. TechSupport

TechSupport Guest

1. do u have a lot of email in the inbox? is it loading directly to the inbox?

2. have u tried archiving the folders? it'll make less space being used, possibly making it quicker to load.

3. [off topic] "796mb ram" (from your sig canadian_divx) how exactly did you manage to get that much? lol - I understand you probably have a 512mb, a 256mb... but a 28mb also? im confused :/

5. sboulema

sboulema Moderator

have you messed with windows messenger. if so thats why your OE start slow. in OE go to options and disable them messenger function or rename your messenger foldr to messengerOFF or something. Do a search on the fourm for outlook and messenger and you will see tons of solutions

6. TechSupport

TechSupport Guest

you mean Office XP or Outlook Express (OE)?

I know if you go to "Tools", "Options" and then to the "Other" tab, you can untick "Enable Messenger support in Outlook" (or something similar) - if that is actually what causes the problem. I cant remember how its done in Outlook Express though

7. Lou

Lou Guest

After I installed Direct X 9 my outlook express in win XP starts up very slow ( 1 min).

8. allan

allan Guest

Do you use a spam blocker by any chance? Some have settings to check for new updates at load time and that will slow down the process.

9. sboulema

sboulema Moderator

i meant outlook express and not offix exp. The same way you can untick the option can be done in the express version. And when you install directx 9 you will have the same problem, because there is an conflict between messenger and dx9.

10. Lou

Lou Guest

Thanks for replying, but No I do not have a spam blocker I just installed DX9 and the start up for OE6 increased to almost 1 min. Everything else was unchanged and running fine.

11. Lou

Lou Guest

Ok I could not find and check box with "automatically log on to windows messenger" under Tools/options/General HOWEVER when I reverted my drive to pre DX9 the box was then there in OE. Now my other computer which is almost identical does not have Windows messenger activated and the DX9 has no problem in that computer. So I wondering if I should do something to windows messenger before I reinstall DX9....But What???