Outlook not sending e-mail

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Sinster, Jul 10, 2003.

1. Sinster

Sinster Moderator

I have 3 different pop servers satx.rr.com, austin.rr.com and adelphia.com.
    I can't send on any account.

I keep getting this error

our message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: Test

Sent: 7/10/2003 3:04 PM

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

'Super_Beetle72@xxxx.com' on 7/10/2003 3:04 PM

550 5.7.1 <Super_Beetle72@xxxxx.com>... Relaying denied

I am running Nortons AV and have turned it off. I still get my outgoing mail kicked back. This just started happening yesterday. I haven't installed anything new.

2. PseudoKiller

PseudoKiller Zug Zug

You are trying to send an email thru a smtp server other than the one your currently connected to. This means if you are connected thru one isp and try to send email thru anothers isp's smtp server this is called relaying and is not allowed. You must use the isp's outgoing or smtp server you are currently connected too.

3. Sinster

Sinster Moderator

Thx... I changed my satx.rr.com and austin.rr.com smtp settings to adelphia and now it sends them.

My question is how come it doesn't block the outgoing? It differs from adelphia.net?

4. PseudoKiller

PseudoKiller Zug Zug

Relaying is a security problem... It is only used on outgoing or smtp servers. You can get or pop your email from anywhere connected thru anyone. Spammers usually troll around and look for port 25 to be open on smtp servers. This way they can send email thru that server and it cannot be traced back to them only to the email server. Smtp servers will only allowed users to send email thru them if they are from an approved ip address or username and password verification. Thats why for example if you are connected thru Comcast and try to send email thru Verizons outgoing (smtp) server you get the open relaying not allowed error. Hope that helps :D

5. Sinster

Sinster Moderator

I am sending roadrunner through adelphia.net.

6. PseudoKiller

PseudoKiller Zug Zug

then I would say adelphia has a security issue... these are not laws but common practice amonst isp's. Some isp's will block email from known open relays. some dont

you can check your isp or other isp's here...

ORDB

There are more but I dont have the links availible...