out of these 2 what board

This one - ECS L7VTA is much better than the K7S5A.

Originally posted by Doctor Who
This one - ECS L7VTA is much better than the K7S5A.

Not to be rude, but says who?! What you've put is a very sweeping statement..any links to back it up?

Being the owner of a K7S5A, all I can say is get something else!

I hope that helps.

-lieb39

becase the customer wants ECS and they turned down an asus board for teh same price so i am not going to argue with them, i am goving him waht ne wants, a good ECS if there is one

The K7S5A PRO is an antique using the SIS 735 chipset which is pre-VIA 266 technology (not even pre 266A). It won't support the Barton 333 FSB. I just bought one for a backup system (got it and an Tbred XP2000 for $69 so the MB was basically free). The K7S5A also has a well documented problem with the CMOS losing its data. The problem was traced to the 735 chipset. I saw this when I first got it and powered up but not since. It may or may not have been fixed. The fix for the older boards is to SOLDER a resistor onto the MB to tweak the chipset voltage!

The other board says KT400/400A so I got suspicious and checked. It is not on the AMD Barton recommended ECS MB list:

http://www2.amd.com/us-en/recmobo/ResultsHandler/1,,30_118_3734_4348^7923~63674,00.html

Tread carefully. The customer is not always right.

The SIS 748, 746 and Via KM400 are on the list. Wonder if the KM is a mobile chipset or csome goofball variant like I got stuck with once KLE133 thought it was a KT133 but turned out not to be "processor" upward compatible.

PS Per your "a good ECS MB". Only if you compare it to Shuttle or FIC. ;)

If he wants a good (translated as stable and well built) MB. The list is ASUS, Gigabyte, TYAN (uninspired but reliable) and ABIT. After that you're rolling the dice.

Originally posted by LeeJend
Wonder if the KM is a mobile chipset or csome goofball variant like I got stuck with once KLE133 thought it was a KT133 but turned out not to be "processor" upward compatible.
KM400 = KT400 with limited onboard video. just like KM266/KT266.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back