Our Favorite Tweaks

yep, we need to get all these good threads starting again, so it thought lets paste my text files with tweaks :)

this one is just for experts...

DO NOT TRY THIS IF YOU ARE NOT CONFORTABLE WITH THE POSSIBILITY OF NEEDING TO REFORMAT!!!

I asked for a hack to get rid of the "address" word that sits just east of the address bar...I know it's the "address" bar, I can find it without the word being there, and I don't like seeing the word "address" period.

yoyo found the following;

On request:

Remove the word "address" from the toolbar in Internet Explorer

You need ResourceHacker to do it.

Make a copy of browselc.dll located in Windows\system32 and open it in ResHack.
Expand the String Table folder, then subfolder 807, click on 1033 (when you are using ResourceHacker you will see what I'm talking about)
In the right window now delete the word A&ddress, leave the "".
Hit 'Compile Script'
Click File > Save

Next step is to replace the original file with your modified one.
Find browselc.dll in either C:\Windows\system32\dllcache or C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386, rename it to browselc.bak and copy your hacked file in there instead.
Now boot into safe mode and do exactly the same with the browselc.dll in C:\Windows\system32.
Windows System File Protection will pop up two windows, answer them with cancel and OK.
Reboot.

If you want to make the replacement of this or any other system file really easy use Replacer. It is free and only 8 kb in size. All you have to do is drag the original file into the window, hit Enter, drag the modified file, hit Enter again, confirm that you want to replace the file and reboot.
It automatically replaces the files in system32 and dllcache, creates a backup copy and clicks away File Protection windows.

I asked yoyo for an "open in mozilla" for my favorites tree while I'm in ie.

this is what he came up with;l

Updated version beta 1.0 . ;) Hope it works now.

To add the "Open in Mozilla" option to the right click menu of internet shortcuts:

First copy this text into notepad, adjust the part in red to the actual name and path of your mozilla executable. Save it as "moz.bat" to a folder.

for /f "skip=2 eol=B" %%a in ('find "http" %1') do set %%a
start /b /d "
C:\Program Files\mozillafirebird" mozillafirebird.exe -url "%url%"

Step two, copy the text below into notepad, adjust the part in red to the path where you saved the batch file. Save it as "Moz.reg" then right click - merge.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\InternetShortcut\shell\mozilla]
@="Open in Mozilla"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\InternetShortcut\shell\mozilla\command]
@="\"
C:\\folder\\moz.bat\" \"%1\""

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To undo the whole thing again merge this last regfile and delete the batch file.

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\InternetShortcut\shell\mozilla]

now, I think everybody will like this cute little interface treatment;

pretty darned convenient;

right click the start menu>properties>customize>advanced

scroll down to control panel and click;

display as a menu

now, you don't have to open the control panel to get what you want, the complete ncnsole will pagedown when you click on the link on your start panel

this is the very first thing I do when anyone brings there box to me for optimization;

this is almost as good as an f11 view, but I still have all of my buttons and tools

allright...right click the tool bar, and hit customize

now, remove all of the buttons you don't use, or hardly use

for instance, most people have their home page in their favorites, and don't need it on the toolbar...I never use the print button on the tool bar either

also, there's no reason for the separators, and they take more room then you think, so get rid of all of those

next, bottom left, get rid of all of those text labels...by now, you should know what the buttons mean

and now, go to small icons...aply and exit

next, right click again, and unlock the tool bars

starting from the bottom right, you can grab the dotted line, move it to the right and up

continue with the next dotted line, and so on

you don't need more then and inch and a half for the address bar, so move that over to a as small a serviceable size as you like

that's it...lock the too bar when you have all of this up to one bar

now, if you like, you can also auto hide the task bar on the bottom by right clicking, properties, task bar.

and of course, check auto hide

open notepad, and paste then following on your desktop as "google.reg

double click it, and google wiil be an option for those of you that microsoft took the option away from;

Code:
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
"Use Search Asst"="no"
"Search Page"="http://www.google.com"
"Search Bar"="http://www.google.com/ie"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL]
""="http://www.google.com/keyword/%s"
"provider"="gogl"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search]
"SearchAssistant"="http://www.google.com/ie"

same thing with the following, which will give you the right click option to rename your recycle bin...this is very important...you should call it "trash" or "****e bin" or "bagadonuts"...but you cannot be a tweaker and have your recycke bin named "recycle bin";

Code:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\ShellFolder]
"Attributes"=hex:50,01,00,20
"CallForAttributes"=dword:00000000

Heres one of my fav's that I believe YoYo found for me:

To have a new item "Image: Copy Path to Clipboard" in the context menu of images in Internet Explorer:

Paste this into notepad and save as .html file.

<HTML>

<input type="edit" name="location" value="">

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript" defer>

var parentwin = external.menuArguments;
document.all.location.value = parentwin.event.srcElement.src;
document.all.location.select();
document.execCommand("Copy");

</SCRIPT>
</HTML>

Create a reg file with this content and merge it.

(Let's say you saved the text above as imagepath.html to D:\test.)

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MenuExt\Image: Copy Path to Clipboard]
@="D:\\test\\imagepath.html"
"contexts"=dword:00000002

Saves me tons of hassles when posting desktop pics and so forth ;)

I love that tweak...ya, you asked for it and yoyo came up with it...that one is sweet

Here are a few more I had to use in a recent windows repair after upgrading my mobo:

Disable Image Preview (Windows XP)
When you open an image file in Windows XP the default action is to "Preview" it using the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. This tweak can be used to disable the Preview image option.

Registry Settings
System Key: [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\image\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers\ShellImagePreview]
Value Name: (Default)
Data Type: REG_SZ (String Value)
Value Data: Blank or {e84fda7c-1d6a-45f6-b725-cb260c236066}

Clear the value of "(Default)" to disable the default image preview action. You can restore the preview action by set the value to "{e84fda7c-1d6a-45f6-b725-cb260c236066}".

I also applied this reg fix so that xp remembers my folder settings:

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell]
"BagMRU Size"=dword:00001f40

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam]
"BagMRU Size"=dword:00001f40

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000

some people have been busy. Guess I have to dig out some old fav's now too.

TweakHound's Super XP Tweaking Guide

This guide is great for beginner and intermediate tweakers.

I spotted it on one of my Klipfolio clips but I forget which so recognition goes to the author in the title of this post and on the homepage.

An idea to keep this section organized, especially for those using the "threaded view", posting a brief description of the tweak you are posting in the "TITLE" of the post.

chaos: the threaded view feature is going to be removed because of the way the quick reply box is being used.

perris said:
this is the very first thing I do when anyone brings there box to me for optimization;

this is almost as good as an f11 view, but I still have all of my buttons and tools

allright...right click the tool bar, and hit customize

now, remove all of the buttons you don't use, or hardly use

for instance, most people have their home page in their favorites, and don't need it on the toolbar...I never use the print button on the tool bar either

also, there's no reason for the separators, and they take more room then you think, so get rid of all of those

next, bottom left, get rid of all of those text labels...by now, you should know what the buttons mean

and now, go to small icons...aply and exit

next, right click again, and unlock the tool bars

starting from the bottom left, you can grab the dotted line, move it to the right and up

continue with the next dotted line, and so on

you don't need more then and inch and a half for the address bar, so move that over to a as small a serviceable size as you like

that's it...lock the too bar when you have all of this up to one bar

now, if you like, you can also auto hide the task bar on the bottom by right clicking, properties, task bar.

and of course, check auto hide

This has always been my favorite one from you, it looks so nice after I do this! Thanks for this tweak!!

Perris you would love the autohide feature in MyIE which hides that entire toolbar unless the mouse hovers over.

thanx b-man

and thanx leedog

there is auto hide in ie while in f11and I do love that...I didn't know I can autohide the toolbar even when not in f11 if I use myie...thanx for the info leedog.

for those of you that want to take a look at how small a toolbar is supposed to be, even when not in f11, take a look at the screeny

Attachments

• toolbar.zip
    93 KB · Views: 166
o_87 said:
chaos: the threaded view feature is going to be removed because of the way the quick reply box is being used.

Damn....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back