Other ways to install xp???

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by failurbydesign, Aug 31, 2006.

1. failurbydesign

failurbydesign music MUSIC music Political User

So my next task is tryn to install windows xp on a laptop with a broken cd-rom drive...is there any way to do this???

2. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Potential Options:

Replace the Drive
    Hook up an external CD-ROM, through USB or similar
    Take the drive out, get a connector so you can hook it up to a PC (this can be done via a connector normally, can give a USB interface)

I wreckon that may be your only option...

3. Mecham

Mecham Vista bug finder

It does work, I have done it before when my CDR/DVD on my laptop decided to stop working so I borrowed my bosses external CD-ROM and it installed fine.

4. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Yeah, installing from an external CD-ROM is one of the options I suggested...

5. failurbydesign

failurbydesign music MUSIC music Political User

well i have a external case that can hold hard drive and cd/dvd drive, but will it boot up to the usb device??

Also i dont have a cd/dvd drive i can get to without t aking it out of my pc, i do have an extra hardrive...what ifi extracted the files from the xp cdand left them on a fresh formated hd..would that work???

Last edited: Sep 1, 2006
  6. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Check the bios setup. Some will have a boot to USB selection, some won't. If you have a big enough thumb drive you could try that also. If the computer will boot to USB I think I saw someone who did a USB install. It was with a 512MB thumb and they had removed some of the features to make it fit.

Hmm, do I feel energetic enough to try this tonight... Nah.

http://www.informationweek.com/windows/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=177102101