"Other user using file" ...?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Jeeves, Dec 3, 2001.

1. Jeeves

Jeeves Guest

I have been using XP Pro, and I personally get peeved when XP tells me that another user is using a file or something, when I am THE ONLY USER on the computer. Is there any way to delete these suckers? Crap that came preloaded with XP... like stuff in the program files directory, like /xerox/ or /moviemaker/ or even outlook?

I tried poping my trusty win98 bootdisk and deltree'ing them, but it won't let me. "File not found".

2. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

You can go into the file C:\Windows\inf\sysoc.inf and find all the stuff that has the word "hide" in it and delete the word "hide" which will allow that program to show up in the "Add\Remove Programs" in the control panel. for an example, make this:

look like this:

After you make your modifications to this file i think you'll need to reboot before they'll show up in the add/remove section.

Sometimes, myself, when i've come across a particularly stubborn file, i'll rename it before i can get it to delete. If it's not actively being used by the system that is. Just a couple ideas, good luck on slimmin down the bloatware.
  3. Jeeves

Jeeves Guest

I already did that with the HIDE, but some folders still won't go.