OSX For Intel Leaked: Viral Marketing?

Petros

Thief IV
Source

Is this story true?

Is Apple's intent is actually to someday sell OSX for PCs? That would directly encroach on MS's home turf.

If Apple has actually leaked a version of OSX that will run on a standard PC, I applaud. Personally, I'd LOVE to see OSX comete with Windows. It's not that I prefer one or the other (I love both my iBook and my PC), but I'm big on capitalism. I can only see consumers winning with this kind of competition.

Apple has already stated that it won't allow OS X to be installed on non-Mac machines. Apple won't stop people from installing Windows on a Mac, but OS X isn't supposed to be sold independently to install on any PC. Expectation is for some time of built-in management to tie the OS to the Mac Intel processors.

Of course reverse-engineering is always possible, but we'll have to see. :)

Yeah, I heard about that earlier today. :laugh:

It's not real. If it were, many people on here would already have it I'm sure, but having checked about, it's not real anyway :D

Well, if someone wanted to leak an OS and didn't have it, there is only so much they could do to stop it now. Before Windows XP was released (had an MSDN subscription at the time) there was also a number of sites which had a crack to break windows product activation (at this time, they were real cracks, as opposed to a corporate release). They had one out for beta 2 and every version of the release candidate...

I s'pose the real reason one wasn't released for the final, was it was easier to just leak "Devil's Own" then to go back and reverse engineer WPA again...

But in the case of OS X and a PC, there are already methods to get it installed...

http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/pub/a/windows/2005/01/18/PearPC.html

What Apple's migration over to x86 will do however, is allow people to dispense with the emulator (in theory) and run it native on the proc... In fact, given that peeps have gone to the effort to make an emulator for it, I think there will be some to do it...

Well, it's going to happen eventually...it just hasn't happened yet. :)

Heh, I remember the XP leaks. I also remember using XP a very long time before I should of been (God bless LAN parties!).

OS X/Intel won't leak just yet, the developer boxes are $999 to my knowledge, and are being kept closely guarded. Also they aren't provided with install discs, just a hard drive containing OS X/Intel and the iLife applications natively compiled. So there may be a chance that in a few months we'll see a hard-disk image emerge (although, I'd imagine at the fear of individual serial branding/water-marking, no one will be willing to "share" their wealth) but no optical-disc images will be leaked to the net, not just yet anyway ;)

heheh when it happens I shall be doing everything I can ti make sure I'll have a copy :D

SPeedY_B said:
It's not real. If it were, many people on here would already have it I'm sure, but having checked about, it's not real anyway :D
Yeah it's not *anywhere*. :p Oh and all these theorys that Apple would leak it themself is really, really, really stupid. How would they gain anything? Apple is a hardware company, giving away (leaking) the OS would do nothing at all for them.

SPeedY_B said:
OS X/Intel won't leak just yet, the developer boxes are $999 to my knowledge, and are being kept closely guarded. Also they aren't provided with install discs, just a hard drive containing OS X/Intel and the iLife applications natively compiled. So there may be a chance that in a few months we'll see a hard-disk image emerge (although, I'd imagine at the fear of individual serial branding/water-marking, no one will be willing to "share" their wealth) but no optical-disc images will be leaked to the net, not just yet anyway ;)

I'm not following the idea;

how could there be a developement box that would be individually owned because of the charge of a thousand bucks? (rented for software developement?)

But if that's so, it's no longer closely gaurded by the very process

why would a developer have to pay for the box and do research for the opewrating system when it's not going to be available for public consumption?

why on earth would they let it out of the building when they know the security risks?

as speedy says, if the image is available, the exact copy and source would be traceable...unless[/.i] the image was released by someone who was on the developement team and had an agenda of damage to the company.

I wouldn't have any trouble believing that there is a version that runs on conventional hardware, I believe jobs already said that...
if there is one, there could easily be a blackmarket image.

Last edited:
Well that's the thing, depending on the Intel proc they're using, already seems to be conventional in terms of the actual platform. Drivers on the other hand for the wide variety of hardware peeps have...

They already have a means to emulate OS X on a PC (aka Pear PC) so given time, there does seem to be a will.

As to Apple leaking it, does seem a stretch at first glance, but if there is a HD image out there, there would seem to be a possibility to ghost the HD or something. Only prob does become, drivers for outside hardware. They worked a means out for an already released emulator though, hmm...

perris said:
I wouldn't have any trouble believing that there is a version that runs on conventional hardware, I believe jobs already said that...
Yeah if they have been compiling each new build on a Intel box for the past 5yrs then could be possible to leak such a copy. Unless of course those Intel boxes are modded in house (thus not standard hardware 100%) and then a copy of the OS wouldn't be much good to anyone outside of Apple testing.

Xie said:
Yeah it's not *anywhere*. :p Oh and all these theorys that Apple would leak it themself is really, really, really stupid. How would they gain anything? Apple is a hardware company, giving away (leaking) the OS would do nothing at all for them.
Oh it would be a big gain, believe me.

The version out there at the moment is likely able to run on off-the-shelf components, however there will be no updates etc for it, making it a worthless o/s for anyone other than developers at the moment. Were it to leak, countless thousands of people would get their hands on an almost native-speed version of OS X they can try at home, however should they want the full experience... they need to buy a mac.

Think how many macs PearPC sold (more than you think).

perris said:
I'm not following the idea;

how could there be a developement box that would be individually owned because of the charge of a thousand bucks? (rented for software developement?)
Developers are able to buy a development box to start working on their apps for the OS X/Intel platform, ready for when the machines launch, this stops any delays in active development of their applications.

Only very select developers are allowed to make a purchase.

perris said:
why would a developer have to pay for the box and do research for the opewrating system when it's not going to be available for public consumption?
Ehm... it is. Where have you been?

perris said:
why on earth would they let it out of the building when they know the security risks?

as speedy says, if the image is available, the exact copy and source would be traceable...unless[/.i] the image was released by someone who was on the developement team and had an agenda of damage to the company.

Ok, seriously. Apple is moving to Intel chips... I don't see what's so hard to understand.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back