OSNN Firewall Poll

What Firewall do you use?

• Total voters
I've used most of those up there and I have to say my experience with ZoneAlarm has been pretty solid. Combined with a router, all the casual user really needs.

/edit

Definitions for people who don't know:

NAT allows an IP-based network to manage its public (Internet) addresses separately from its private (intranet) addresses. It is a popular technology for Net connection sharing on DSL or cable LANs. With NAT, each private IP address can be translated to a different public address, or multiple private addresses can be aliased to a single public one. To accomplish this, NAT software snoops both incoming and outgoing packets on the network. It modifies the source or destination address in the IP header (and the affected checksums) to reflect the mapping between internal and external addressing for that network.

NAT functionality appears on routers and other gateway devices with low-level access to packets at the network boundary. Several variations on NAT have also been implemented to provide additional support for application-level protocols. NAT for the Internet is defined in RFC 1631.

Also Known As: Network Address Translation

*nix : Slang term denoting any of the myriad of flavors of Unix or Linux (Ultrix, HP-UX, Tru-64, Solaris, AIX, FreeBSD, etc.). It's often convenient to refer to them in general, rather than specifically, because much of what is true is true accross the board.

I am behind a linksys router at home and linux firewall at work.
however my laptop goes many places. On Enyo's recommendation I downloaded OP 2 and tried to install it. 1st BSOD I have had on either of my Tosh laptops (5100 stolen, now 5200). Looking at the Outpost forum trying to solve the problem and its seems the problem is quite common.
Boot to safe mode and trash it.
Soo, I would like to install a firewall and I would like recommendations on Kerio or Sygate.
BTW I'm running KAV antivirus
Cheers

Currently I have Norton installed along with the default one that WinXp has. I had winXp's in-house firewall installed since I got the computer but I installed the Norton after getting several messages that someone/thing had tried to tamper with my antivirus software. Since I installed Norton I haven't had any problems with my antivirus. :cool:

used norton ezfirewall zonealarm and a number of others but not using one at the moment as I'm behind a NAT/router

i just use the one Windows provides, and according to SP2 info, its about to be a lot sweeter

Sygate Pro and D-link DI-614+ - I tried many of the popular software firewalls and always go back to Sygate.

Why is my sig not showing? :confused:

Sygate Personal Firewall, for me, does exactly what it says on the tin with no extra crap. Its a good firewall, but the optical net stats just make it for me. Every other commercial firewall i've tried doesn't hold a candle

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back