OS X on x86 - Natively!

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
As they're all over the net anyway, I'll post here too:

Pre Install Notes:
1. You can not install OS X86 on a partition, it NEEDS it's own drive.

2. You NEED a CPU which has SSE2 as a minimum. The OS is crippled with purely SSE2, however it is still bootable, and useable. Only with Intel Binaries though. PPC compiled apps require rosetta, which requires SSE3.
You can use CPUz: http://www.cpuid.org/download/cpu-z-130.zip ; to check for SSE.

3. For the install, you will need a copy of the OS X86 DVD (we DO NOT need to know where this is available, if you have a copy, the assumption shall be made that you obtained it via a transition dev kit.)

4. It's not just a simple install, you will need more tools than just your install DVD, however the guides make it simple enough.

Install Guide
Easiest: http://www.xplodenet.com/
Alternative: http://www.360hacker.net/

Proof of concept
I've mirrored various video's of OSX86 in action here: http://speedyb.osnn.net/osx86/video/

I shall be trying this myself when I get some time, and access to a friends machine, I will of course post results etc.

This is great ... If they ever get OSX to fully work on x86 system, I would be willing to get it ..

This is great ... If they ever get OSX to fully work on x86 system, I would be willing to get it ..

Ha it does...AMD too

i do feel this thread shouldn't be shut down like others, its just talk and nothing more

I patted myself on the back...just looking for a good conversation thread

/me looks for a reason to bother running OSX.

Does it support Windows Games :eek:

AS well as VISTA does... :lick:

I know they fixed most of the bugs, pretty much. But it was too good a shot to pass up.

Ha..so true

It may not play all games, but at least photoshop cs3 runs better in osx than vista, i got garage band and all those goodies..

AS well as VISTA does... :lick:

I know they fixed most of the bugs, pretty much. But it was too good a shot to pass up.

Dunno, never had an issue with gaming on Vista :)

Maybe Matt, Net and I are blessed in not having the ridiculous "issues" all the rest of you seem to be having :cool:

Ha..so true

It may not play all games, but at least photoshop cs3 runs better in osx than vista, i got garage band and all those goodies..

Haven't seen any review numbers for performance benches.

Links?

I would say 90% of issues with vista are user created, well mine where till i pulled my head out of my ass and got down to business.

Aside, i think OS X is a great os with some pretty bad ass programs..

Maybe Matt, Net and I are blessed in not having the ridiculous "issues" all the rest of you seem to be having :cool:
I don't really play games on the PC anymore (Xbox 360 ftw!), so I'm not the best person to comment on that aspect of Vista vs. XP.

But yeah, I'm happy with Vista on my desktop and Tablet, overall. There are a few annoyances (what OS doesn't have its quirks?), but nothing major that would make me want to go back to XP at least. :)

whats is all this lingo, ftw..whats that..may i have a link to internet talk...anyways..i was at the mac store yesterday, those core duo are sweet ass sweet, but the os x86 customs run smooth too

Since this was dragged screaming and kicking from it's grave, I just wanted to say that I have tried this, and unfortunately I was unable to get it to work because none of the graphics cards I have would work. I tried both Nvidia and ATI cards.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back