Ordering New PC help, n Link 3 Pc's on Wireless

ste_w

OSNN Senior Addict
Hi all

I am Currently thinking about ordering a new pc, but instead of going through the hassle of building it my self im on the evesham.com website where u can select a base pc kinda thing then customise some components, i want a pc that will last (2-3yrs) basically and need some advice.

Should i go for a AMD 64 Processor 3400+ which i think is equivelent to 2.2GHZ or Intel 3GHZ Non 64? as i want the pc to last im heading towards the 64bit system. I need to stay within about £1300

Heres my list specs customised from the Axis 64 MKR:

AMD Athlon 64bit Processor 3400+
XP Home Edition
1 GB Dual Channel DDR RAM (PC3200) 400MHZ (2x512MB)
100GB 7200 RPM Hard drive
256MB NVIDIA Geforce 6800 GT Graphics Card
17 Inch Viewsonic E72F+SB Flat CRT (Black / Silver) Monitor
Case: Black ATX Tower Case with 350-500W Power supply
52X CDRW+DVD Combo (One Drive)
Soundcard: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
Speakers: Creative Inspire P5800 5.1 Speakers (Black)
Microsoft Cordless Keyboard + Optical Mouse (Or Basic)
56k Internal PCI Modem
Floppy Drive
Network Card: Onboard 10/100 Network

All That comes to £1307

Also the 2 comps i have at the mo r Networked using the Intel Anypoint Wireless adapters on Peer to Peer mode, and im wondering is it just a case of getting another one of these adapters and setting it up? So i want to link up 3 pcs on a wireless network.

Please Help, Thanx

Ste_W

ste_w said:
Should i go for a AMD 64 Processor 3400+ which i think is equivelent to 2.2GHZ or Intel 3GHZ Non 64? as i want the pc to last im heading towards the 64bit system.

AMD 3400+ is not equivalent to 2.2GHz, it IS 2.2GHz (or 2GHz on 754-pin). Correct me if I'm wrong (anyone), but from what I recall with the 1st generation of AthlonXPs, a rating of 1700+ (~1.13GHz) was equivalent to an Intel running at 1.7GHz. If this is still the case on AMD64, then the 3400+ would be equivalent to and Intel CPU running at 3.4GHz. :) (need to take HT and level2/3 cache out of the equation though)

That sounds good, but i dont understand how the AMD 64 3400 is a 2.2ghz processor which is equivilent to a 3.4ghz intel processor?

AMD processors handle things differently than Intel processors do. so the AMD64 with a clock speed of 2.2Ghz performs as if it were a 3.4Ghz chip.

ste_w said:
That sounds good, but i dont understand how the AMD 64 3400 is a 2.2ghz processor which is equivilent to a 3.4ghz intel processor?

I might be wrong on that, but as I mentioned earlier if they still rate it the same way as they did with the 1st generation of AthlonXPs then yes it would be equivalent to Intel 3.4GHz.
It's down to the shorter pipelines and enables faster processing. Intel P4's have much deeper pipelines (which is actually good for those who do video encoding).

o ok thanx, i havnt used an intel processor for a long time, i prefer amd and after hearing that think ill def go for the AMD 64 3400+

Any Suggestions on Wireless network tho?

Ste_W

If you're planning to get a router for your network, I'd suggest Netgear DG834G or the Linksys WAG54.

i dont know much bout networks, the wireless was easy to set up, just plug n play basically, but for 3 comps i dunno wat to do, n dunno wat a router is?

Well, the routers I've mentioned allows you to connect up to 4 wired machines to it as well as numerous wireless machines. It also has a built-in broadband modem to connect to the internet and the internet connection can be accessed by any machine at anytime.

How easy r they to setup? n so i can still use my 2 anypoint network adapters, get a 3rd for the new pc, then link them to the router?

Ive just seen the price of that net gear one lol I wont have enuff money left over 2 get that aswell as another Net Adapter for new pc, any cheaper alt?

It's very easy to get started. The only hard part is probably getting the wireless security in place so that no one apart from the machines you specify can gain access to the router/ home network.
All the settings are done through a browser, so you don't need to install any special software to use the router. Just need to install the wireless adapters for the PC to connect them to the router.

ste_w said:
Ive just seen the price of that net gear one lol I wont have enuff money left over 2 get that aswell as another Net Adapter for new pc, any cheaper alt?

If you are going to connect to the internet as well, I would suggest to connect one PC (nearest to telephone socket) via ethernet cable. Only cost a few dollars for the card and cable - much cheaper than getting wireless.

damn, didn't notice you're in the UK. lol :p

Ethernet cards are around £10 approx. Anyone will do (pref. Base 10/100TX)
CAT 5e patch cables shouldn't cost anything more than £5 for 10metres.

Any internet guides to setting this up? i was looking before but didnt see any relevant ones, well ones i could understand anyway lol

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back