Opinions on 3 PSU

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Maveric169, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Maveric169

Maveric169 The Voices Talk to Me

My wife is letting me spend some money on my PC and I am looking at PSU. I am looking at 3 different ones, that I have found good reviews on and wanted to get some opinions from everyone. So let me know what you all think of these.

2. Maveric169

Well there is only one thing that bothers me about quiet pc's PSU's. Did you notice that there power output is listed by using combined output and not dedicated output? Now granted with a 460W PSU it might not really be as much an issue as that is alot of power, but I don't want to chance it (it would be my luck, and I would never hear the end of it from the wife). Other than that I would go for it.

3. Maveric169

4. Jz1397-5

Jz1397-5 XP Bad Ass

5. Maveric169

Well After allot of reading reviews and the post here, (I really apreciate everyones input) I have decided to go with the Antec True 550 ATX (it was only $10 more than the 480 so.......).

So why did I choose this over the Enermax 460? Well after reading over 50 reviews 70% (approx) stated that the voltage rails had a significantly greater variance over that of the Antec or even the Thermaltake. So I went with the Antec.

6. mbunny

mbunny Guest

Good choice.

I was going to post that do you really need that blue light shining out of the back of your PC?

Antec TruePower's are quality =)

7. Jz1397-5

Jz1397-5 XP Bad Ass

1) i hate lights i can't turn off. they annoy the hell out of me when i am trying to sleep. 2) why on god's green earth do we need so much power. when i got my 520watt power supply i had connections coming out of everywhere. for all fans and HDDS and CD-ROMs, i still have a few free and doubt i will ever fully use it. they are mainly for server usage but it makes me feel like a bad@$$.

8. Maveric169

Well my PC is in my office so it really ouldn't bother me any and I am going to be adding a custom window mod in the next week when the stuff I bought from pcmods gets in, so it would have been nice, but If I really want it I will just mod the PSU.

9. omgsoup

omgsoup OSNN Senior Addict

i use a 200W PSU. 1 HD, 1 DVD, 1CD-RW, 1 floppy, I only have 1 empty slot on the mobo (sound, vid (geforce 3 ti500), modem, 10/100), and my processor is sorta cracked out, and i have to plug it directly into the psu. 1 usb joystick, 1 usb cam. and it handles it all. but dell does their PSU's differntly from the rest. mine lasted for, was it almost 4 years? well, december of '99 until tuesday, but now i got another one.

10. Maveric169

Umm, how exactly do you plug a processor "directly into the PSU"?