Opera 7 final "fast"

napalmnthemorning

OSNN Senior Addict
I just finished installing Opera 7 the other day and was amazed at how much faster it is then IE. Anyone know why it is so much faster then IE. If any of you guys that still use 56K like myself, and you get tired of waiting for pages to open up with IE "even with your favorite accelerators" you'll notice the difference.. It also has a built in pop up blocker, built in Google search engine. A great tool bar with on the fly edit of color scheme.. I love it!

http://www.opera.com/

I also switched back to opera a couple of weeks ago. I used opera with v6.02 but then went back to IE after a little while. Everyone said how fast v7.0 is, so thats what I'm using now, really happy so far.

I hear its only "visually" faster. An optical illusion. Lots of lines that move make it seem like its fast but its really no faster than IE. I can't remember who said this =P

Just use a stop watch and time IE and Opera to find out.

I honestly haven't noticed that much speed difference concerning page loading with opera. But features like the button in the toolbar to toggle images on/off make it seem faster when you want it to be. Overall, I just like the interface more, and mouse gestures make browsing a hell of a lot quicker. Tabbed browsing as well, what more could you ask for? :D

FREE!!! =)

Why use adware (or god forbid pay for your software) when you have free alternatives that are BETTER =)

Mozilla for example

and Phoenix =)

Use Mozilla... You will be glad you did.

Ooooh, and did we mention FREE!!!

and... NO ADWARE!!! :cool:

Oh and another thing... TABBED BROWSING INCLUDED, FREE!!!

and ... NO UNWANTED POP-UP WINDOWS, FREE!!!

:happy: :happy:

Ok, get over it, mine is free too ;) ;) :)
Mozilla, opera, netscape, all the same engine features. Mozilla a little more advanced though.

Originally posted by mbunny
I hear its only "visually" faster. An optical illusion. Lots of lines that move make it seem like its fast but its really no faster than IE. I can't remember who said this =P

Just use a stop watch and time IE and Opera to find out.

I think it was dealer who noticed this.

tried the latest beta of Moz, its ok, but getting pretty bloated IMO, and a beast of a resource monster- i like to have the mail open with the browser, i was looking at 60meg eaten up before id even opened a page, ill stick with my nice 3meg opera download and integrated mail that doesnt take up extra RAM. And opera is definately faster than Moz (here at least), I love the idea of Moz being open source etc but all that extra development seems to have added lots of extra bloat as well

[edit] and another thing..Moz's popup handling has taken a major step backwards, what happened to 'do not open unrequested windows'? Now you just block popups by site/domain :confused: no thanks

Try Moz 1.2.1 or Phoenix

Phoenix is the Opera of the mozilla project =P

Lowest size, most features =)

Originally posted by mbunny
Try Moz 1.2.1 or Phoenix

Phoenix is the Opera of the mozilla project =P

Lowest size, most features =)

Yeh I know where ur coming from, phoenix is the best of the Moz family iv seen - but one of the things I like about Opera is the fact that Iv got Browser+mail+news all in one nice slim 3 meg package, and its faster and more efficient than Phoenix/Moz. I will admit that v7 of Opera is not anywhere near finished (I disagree with its Final status), but that 3 meg package still gives me more than Moz or Phoenix can atm.
A couple of things I love about Opera that Moz or phoenix cannot seem to manage is the 'Instant Back button' (if you dont know what I mean try it), and their implementation of tabbed browsing. I know the Moz family has tabs, but Opera just seems to have the edge, Iv tried Multizilla - but im more comfortable with Operas version, its probably just familiararity - ie Iv used Opera for 3 years or so and its what I know, but it just seems more natural to me.
2 things I will say that Moz has over Opera is its Mail/news package - its lovely, if/when they release it as a stand alone package I may be converted in that department-*Big If* they can get it down to a reasonable size that doesnt eat my RAM, and its 'block images from this server' feature- great!

i love how some people think because an application runs "fast" on there computer it will run "fast" on everyones, Opera, Mozilla,Phoenix all run like ass on my system, nothing beats IE...besides tabs are the most annoying "innovation" ever

Originally posted by JtR
i love how some people think because an application runs "fast" on there computer it will run "fast" on everyones, Opera, Mozilla,Phoenix all run like ass on my system, nothing beats IE...besides tabs are the most annoying "innovation" ever

I love how some people completely fail to see the irony in their own posts

Originally posted by kohoutec
I love how some people completely fail to see the irony in their own posts

Hahahaha... Well said. :p

while we're on the subject

While we're on the subject of Opera, anyone know how to get an update from 7.0 to 7.01? I checked on the website and it doesn't seem to have it unless you download the whole thing all over again. On dial up, I'd rather get an update.

BTW, Used Mozilla and K-Meleon before. Both use the Gecko rendering engine. Didn't like both. The browser wasn't as refined as it could be... bookmarks, buttons, etc. The engine is great though, being open source, and the most standards based engine. Netscape is supposed to use Gecko, but I've lost faith in the Netscape browsers somewhere in versions 4.x.

Right now I use MyIE2. It's great. IE Engine. IE bookmarks. Tabbed interface, and lots more. I wanna try out Opera again though since it started acting up on me when it was stil 6.05 that made me switch to MyIE2. I hope it has better bookmark export. We'll see...

Re: while we're on the subject

Originally posted by vern
While we're on the subject of Opera, anyone know how to get an update from 7.0 to 7.01? I checked on the website and it doesn't seem to have it unless you download the whole thing all over again. On dial up, I'd rather get an update.

Unfortunately the only way to update is to download the whole setup for 7.01, I dont know quite why Opera do this, I imagine their reckoning is a 3mb download is still smaller than an IE update. The 7.01 release is purely a security fix, so dont expect any other enhancements as yet. Saying that-iv been in contact with one of the Opera team recently regarding a now resolved problem Id been having, and 7.02 doesnt look very far away at all :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back