Opening Ports

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by luish, Jan 5, 2003.

1. luish

luish OSNN Senior Addict

I have a problem with a game and the suport guy told me to :
    " Open TCP and UDP ports: 2048 ".
    How can I do this, I am using Windows XP Pro, withour a router, with an usb DSL modem.

Thanx !

2. Un4gIvEn1

Un4gIvEn1 Moderator

Well, you may want to contact your ISP. Some ISPs block those ports. By default they should be open. Unless you are running a software firewall or XPs built in firewall, it should be open.

3. luish

luish OSNN Senior Addict

ok, i will try that, thank you !

4. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Btw, ARE you running a firewall? I don't think ISP:s would block ports beyond 1024 unless it's a know trojan port.

5. luish

luish OSNN Senior Addict

I don't have a firewall don't have a router but it doesn't connect to the udp protocol.
    I contacted my ISP and they said that they don't block any port and when I talked with them about the UDP protocol they didn't know what I was talkin about.

Anyone ?

6. lurker2100

lurker2100 Guest

Is WinXP's firewall turned on?

If you're not sure, go to your network connection (Control Panel then Network Connections). Right click on your network connection and go to properties. Go to the advanced tab and check to see if the Internet Connection Firewall is marked. If it is marked, then you'll have to manually open up the necessary ports. You can do this by clicking on the Settings button and then clicking on the Add button in the new window that opens. Enter a description (I'd suggest the name of the game), your computer's ip address, then put in the port number in the last two boxes, and finally mark TCP. You'll have to repeat this step choosing UDP instead.

Hope this helps.

7. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Not to surprising... :)

It really sounds like it should work...
    What game is it? Are you running a "LAN game" or online game with a game server?

8. lechtard

lechtard Guest

It is'nt very surprising that th ISP would'nt know anything, those people just read the answers to questions you have from a thick black book full of trouble shooting questions and answers ...

Anyway - By default every port is open in windows, none of them should be closed ..

What kind of trouble are you having with this game ???