Opening "my computer" just shows Torch scanning

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by _kC_, Nov 4, 2004.

1. _kC_

_kC_ Moderator

hi, at a freinds today, and they had a problem opening my computer on winxpsp2

scanned with adaware SE 1.05, Spybot S&D 1.3, CWshredder 2, NOD32, Mcafee, Fprot, Regcleaner, Regcompact...... all updated, found few small problems.. but even after scanning and repairing with them, whenever i opened my computer i got an error "explorer has encountered an error and will now be closed.. etc etc.." so i clicked on details and it showed something about a mod called "customie32"

none of these virus scanners or spyware tools found thgis, which i thought was very strange..

anyway i did a search for CustomIE
    up popped customIE32.dll in system32..

i rebooted too safe mode and deleted it..

now when i click on my computer, it at least opens, but just shows the torch searching for items...

wondering if anyone has come across this before? thought id ask here before i proced too format and reinstal his machine..

thanks for any help

kC :confused:

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Doing a repair instead of a format should fix it. All that is probably needed is that file. See if you can find it on the XP disk & put it back in system32.

3. _kC_

_kC_ Moderator

find customie32.dll?

never heard of it before nor seen it

4. Hipster Doofus

Seems it ain't a system file. I ain't got it either.....after doing a search.

Have a look in Windows Explorer/tools/folder options/file types.

Look at 'folder' near the top. Click advanced. Does it have 'explore' & 'open' in there??

Select 'explore' as default if you need to that is.

5. _kC_

_kC_ Moderator

yep that all seems normal..
    on this guys PC if i type c:/ or any path, it instantly goes too them no probs..
    just "my computer" it cannot view

6. Hipster Doofus

If they have a recent restore point you could try that then slowly remove the spyware.

7. _kC_

_kC_ Moderator

will format the box i think on monday, cant be bothered messing around, was lookuing for a solution..its their fault for probably brwosing crap sites..
    cheers anyway