Opening a program

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Sinster, Aug 1, 2004.

1. Sinster

Sinster Moderator

and then I shut down the program the program is still running under "Process" Tab of Win Task Mgr but not Application.

2. cpugeniusmv

cpugeniusmv Computer Genius

which program?

3. Sinster

Sinster Moderator

Outlook, Kali and a few others.

4. cpugeniusmv

cpugeniusmv Computer Genius

for Outlook, that's normal. if you close it while it's writing to your PST file, it will stay open to finish what it was doing. it will close eventually.

i've never heard of Kali, so i can't explain that one.

5. Sinster

Sinster Moderator

www.kali.net

Its like the All seeing eye.. But has been around much longer..been around since the quake days.

6. Sinster

Sinster Moderator

7. Sinster

Sinster Moderator

Anyone?

8. ApparitionX

ApparitionX Sick of it all.

well, I hate to say it, but it could POSSIBLY be some kind of virus, they're often disguised to look like something that's relatively standard in any windows tskmngr...try going here : http://www.answersthatwork.com/ they have a pretty good "task list", and it sometimes has an explanation what more than one instance of a proccess can be. dunno if this'll help, but good luck.

9. Sinster

Sinster Moderator

Hmmm..
    Thx Apparition

So Far its only a few programes Kali and Outlook. I don't know if some of those svchost are dual instances.

10. ApparitionX

ApparitionX Sick of it all.

np, just a stab in the dark really. hope you get it worked out. also hope I'm wrong about the poss. of it being a virus. anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about svchost, it's actually a host proccess for applications that run from dll's, so it's pretty normal to have more than one of them. what I mean you should look for is something like this..(very generic example)

outlook.exe - spelled right
    0utl00k.exe - spelled with zeros

at a glance you may not think anything of it, but subtle differences in files names are a common trick by the creators of viri to keep them hidden.

good luck.

11. Sinster

Sinster Moderator

Nope they are all the same "Outlook" . I can close them all them down, but once I open "Outlook" back up with my task manager open all 3 of them show up in tm.

12. Mastershakes

Mastershakes Moderator

If you end the process, does it reappear or appear to do nothing? If so, it may be running a service.

Start->Run-> 'services.msc' (no quotes) and hit Enter. Eyeball the services, and google any suspicious looking ones. Hope this helps.