open ports

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Mac1, Jul 24, 2003.

1. Mac1

Mac1 Guest

hi all
    you have probably been asked this before

I did a scan at Symantec and it said the below ports are open, everthing else is at stealth, I am using norton personal firewall/anti-virus 2003 and have been trying to find out how to close these ports but can't find a webpage that explains how to in easy steps, like go here and do this, instead they seem to go into gobbleygook if thats how you spell it.

below are the ports that are open, can anybody explain how to close them in easy steps if possible.

i find it funny that norton firewall did not close these ports, but saying that it might be my fault, my computers are networked together.
    or do i realy have to worry!
    thanks
    mac

ICMP Ping Ping. Ping is a network troubleshooting utility. It asks your computer to acknowledge its existence. If your computer responds positively to a ping, hackers are more likely to target your computer.

23 Telnet. Telnet can be used to log into your computer from a terminal anywhere in the world. This port should be open only if you're running a Telnet server.

80 HTTP (Hypertext Transfer Protocol). HTTP is used to transfer Web pages over the Internet. Port 80 should be open only if you're running a Web server.

2. Mac1

Mac1 Guest

Thanks Enyo
    I think you were right saying it was scanning the proxy and not my computer,
    did as you sugested and did all the tests and got the results below, which is ok i hope.
    what is ICPM anyway
    also killed the messenger on my Win 2000 computer which was giving me a bit of bother.
    Thanks again
    Mac
    ALL PORTS tested were found to be: STEALTH.
    TruStealth: PASSED - ALL tested ports were STEALTH,
    - NO unsolicited packets were received,
    - NO Ping reply (ICMP Echo) was received