Open new tabs in firefox/mozilla

Discussion in 'Linux & BSD' started by j79zlr, Jun 18, 2004.

1. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

I know variations of this have been posted on the web, but I never found a working script, so I fixed it [for me atleast]. Create a script in your home directory named whatever you want [I use firefox_newtab.sh].

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    export MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME="/usr/lib/mozilla-firefox"

url="$1"
    if [ "x$url" = "x" ]; then
      url="about:blank"
    fi

if $MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME/mozilla-xremote-client -a firefox openURL\("$url",new-tab\); then
      exit 0
    fi
    exec $MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME/firefox "$url"
    Now if you point an application to use that instead of the binary it will open in a new tab instead of the "Choose Profile" dialog. Works in GAIM by changing the browser to 'manual' and pointing it to the script, and in Thunderbird, by adding this to your prefs.js file:

user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.http", "/path/to/firefox_newtab.sh");

I am assuming that this works for mozilla in the exact same manner, by changing the FIVE_HOME path to mozilla's and the line to mozilla-xremote-client -a mozilla openURL etc; also, I would assume that you could remove the /usr/bin/mozilla binary and replace it with the shell script, and not need to point to the script then.

vern likes this.
  2. vern

vern Dominus Political User Folding Team

Nice tip. Thanks!

3. gonaads

gonaads Beware the G-Man Political User Folding Team

4. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Very nice tip! Thanks [​IMG]

5. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

Code:
    #!/usr/local/bin/bash

export MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME=/usr/X11R6/lib/firefox/bin/:/usr/X11R6/lib/firefox/lib/mozilla-1.6/
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME

# get URL to load
    url=$1; [ -z $url ] && url=about:blank
    what=$2;

if [ -z $what ]; then
            /usr/X11R6/lib/firefox/lib/firefox-0.9/mozilla-xremote-client -a firefox openURL\($url\,new-window\) && exit 0
    else
            /usr/X11R6/lib/firefox/lib/firefox-0.9/mozilla-xremote-client -a firefox openURL\($url\,$what\) && exit 0
    fi

# if xremote failed, then launch the browser
    exec /usr/X11R6/lib/firefox/bin/firefox $url &

Given either:

firefox-starter <url> <type> (new-tab, or new-window)

If no URL or type is given, it starts a browser window with a blank screen (about:blank) if only URL is given, it opens a new browser window with that in it. If given new-tab it opens a new tab, and if new-window is set, a new-window (same as not defining it).

Enjoy :).

(Sorry for the hardcoded stuff, change it as you deem fit, it is cause mozilla-xremote-client is not in the same place as firefox the startup script)