one last sound card question

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by milecastle, Jan 7, 2006.

1. milecastle

milecastle OSNN Junior Addict

Ok, sorry to be a pest people but one final question.

Why is it that when I remove my AGP graphics card (and use integrated) my sound card goes quiet!

As some of you may know, I cannot use my graphics card with my sound card as the graphics card interferes with sound. So, as I only have 1 AGP and 1 PCI slot I thought I would remove the graphics card and use the integrated one (I do not really need it as I don’t play PC games) but when I do this the sound card goes all quiet so that I can barely hear it - what is going on?

Someone please help!
    Thanks again!
  2. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

Maidenhead, Berkshire, UK
    move the sound card away from the video card. The first PCI slot and the AGP slot are as far as thecomputer is concerned practically the same slot.

Beyond that, without actually being at your pc I couldnt offer much more help.
  3. Son Goku

Son Goku No lover of dogma

Check for an IRQ conflict. Moving the sound card might help. Another possibility might be if your BIOS allows you to manually set the interupt. Usually that's in advanced settings within the system BIOS, though the specific menu for your mobo would be easier to pull up if I was sitting in front of it.
  4. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

Red Sox Nation
    You can't manually assign IRQ's in XP unless you switch to Non-ACPI computer.
  5. Mastershakes

Mastershakes Moderator

That went right over my head Dreamliner - could you explain it to me if you have a moment? I'm guessing type of BIOS ?