Older XP system won't even make it to the welcome screen...

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by hexeir, Dec 18, 2008.

1. hexeir

hexeir OSNN One Post Wonder

I want to completely clear this computer out. It hasn't been working for a year or more, we stopped using it because it just goes to a black screen when it should go to the welcome screen, and just shows the loading cursor. Every once in a while it might actually make it to the welcome screen, but then it just stays on welcome.

Quickest, easiest way to clear the HD out but keep the OS would be great! Thanks guys.

2. epk

epk Moderator Political User Folding Team

what u mean by keeping the OS? dont you have the cd?

if u mean documents, settings and all.. u're better off backing up the important stuff and just starting over

3. hexeir

hexeir OSNN One Post Wonder

I'm not quite sure if I have the CD, and that is the main problem here. I might could find it, so maybe I should get looking! I was wondering if there were any other options. I've been out of computers for a long time and quite frankly I'm outdated.

I have another XP question, but I'm pretty sure I should start another thread for that.

4. epk

epk Moderator Political User Folding Team

hehe.. well, if u have ur cdkey.. maybe u can get an iso somewhere (use ur imagination, hehe)

5. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

If the computer came with Vista installed and without a DVD then it may have a recovery partition on the drive.

6. binoyxj

binoyxj PrOuD InDiAn

7. PaisleyRaven

PaisleyRaven OSNN Junior Addict

If it's XP u may be able to access the BIOS and have it boot to another drive or a floppy/ROM.
    Once ur booted, u do need to backup whatever you want to keep.
    Of course, if the problem with the system IS the OS> F-disk and reinstall.
    If you're hanging before the Welcome screen, it sounds like the OS is not loading. If it's not Loading, there's really not much you can do to kick it along outside of trying to go thru the BIOS or boot from a floppy/ROM.
    XP is the hardest program I've found to work around when the OS has loading issues. Of course, I haven't had a crack (hehe) at Vista yet.
    Good luck!