Older sound/video hardware

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Remar, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Remar

Remar Nerd Herd Political User

Hey ya'll I was wondering if any of you have run into problems with older hardware and found drivers/software to work around these problems. The only one I have had is no support for my "old" ATI Radeon 9250 video card, I have found XDDM drivers for it, but that means I cannot run the Aero interface (not that i care). The other problem is for built in video chipsets older than 4 years....i.e the intel 82845 series chipset.

2. epk

epk Moderator Political User Folding Team

windows 7 should come with basic (or sometimes a lil better than that) drivers for almost everything. Old gpus wont work with aero if they dont meet it's requirements, regardless of driver installed (not sure if thats ur case.. but its common on old onboard chipsets).

3. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

I ran Win7 for a very short time on the box I'm on right now with a 9250 and it had no problem with the default Win7 drivers. I forget at this point if Aero worked ( I doubt it and didn't really care).

4. Remar

Remar Nerd Herd Political User

No, Aero won't work unless the drivers are labeled as WDDM, but eh, I am still running 7, I like the functionality more than the flashy Aero interface. All that is just extra fluff anyways. I usually dumb my look back to something similar to the 9X builds look, more processor time for my real programs...lol