old system, ram problem

R

renakuajo

got and old pc p-II 200mhz, it has W98......32RAM (simms) it also use pc100, the problem is that it doesnt matter how much ram it has always says it only has 16MB of ram, so i removed the old simms and put a dimm of 64mb and still says 16mb of ram....any ideas???

try to see fi there is an option in the bios for selecting between edo and sdram... if not that then maybe try clearing the bios to defaults and see if that helps any

i chech in the bios for selecting between edo and sdram...the thing is that before removing the edo (32mb of ram) it says that only has 16MB....havent clear the bios but i will do it tomorrow to see if it helps

make sure that you are only running one kind of ram and if edo make sure they are identical sticks. i was just messing with a similar computer and if i had edo and sdram it would only detect one edo. on another i had all sd but 2 32s and a 128 and it would only pick up 32. make sure that you only have one type of ram in it and also make sure that you are loading the lower number socket with the ram first since it may matter (it does on mine) the only other thing i would suggest is finding out who makes the board and gettting a manual to read through and see what they recommend for setting it up good luck

thanks for the tip, but i know that i only can use one type of ram, the edos are identical......the pc100 dimm is a kingston and it works i already tested.....i have the manual but it doesnt help much.....i put the dimm in the first slot and nothing still the same

Ok which kind of ram sticks does the system use simm's or dimm's as both have been said already. If it uses simm they generally need to be install in pairs.

ok, grrrrr...LOL

the system can use simms or dimms....the system comes with simms (32MB) but it reads 16MB. Since the mobo can use dimms and i have 1 stick of 64Mb of pc100 (the system supported) i decide to try the 64mb pc 100 to see if the system read the correct amount of ram but it didnt. it says it has 16MB when it has install it 64MB of pc100. So i wanna know what is the cause of this.......

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back