Old format audio

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by tibboh, Feb 21, 2004.

1. tibboh

tibboh Arte et Marte

Is there a method of transfering audio tapes cassettes via soundcard onto CD? I know the quality will probably be quite bad, but the person concerned has some sound that she would like to keep, but preferably on CD's. A weird one but would appreciate any advice available :confused:

Whilst we are on the subject of audio tapes, does anyone (in the UK) know anywhere that still sells the tape carrying cases (for 4 or 6 casettes) - tried Halfords, Dixons etc but no joy (again, not for me personally)

2. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

There are many ways to transfer analog(ue) cassettes to digital. First you need a decent soundcard. Preferabley something besides a SoundBlaster, but if that is all you have, it will work. Then you need a good playback tape deck. It would be best to have the heads professionally aligned. Barring that, clean the heads yourself and demagnetize them. Next get some wave editing software. I prefer soundforge, it has some pluging that will clean up things for you. Also available CoolEdit Pro (2000), Adobe Auditon, Goldwave, Nuendo, etc. THere is also a free one available on sourceforge.net but the name is escaping me right now. You will also need some kind of plugin's to clean up the sound. I prefer the Waves Restoration Pack, but it is pricey. For noise reduction, I like soundforge's.

Now you will need to connect the tape deck to the soundcard's line-in. Open up your audio software. you will need to get a level. Most software you will have to record a short sample to get levels. Use windows mixer to adjust level.

It is best if you record so the signal only peaks at around -12dB. You can always normalize later.

That should be a good start. Let me know if you need more.

3. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

4. dreamliner77

that was it.

Can you tell I had just woken up?

5. tibboh

tibboh Arte et Marte

thanks dreamliner :)

much appreciated

6. dreamliner77