Ok now im pissed off at my Leadtek...

fantasi

My Yngy is My HoneY!
Ok heres the deal. last time i posted that my card 6800gt was dying. it went to 100 degrees cuz the damn fan didnt work. this is the leadtek 6800gt beefy as elemental dragon would call it heat sink. Yeap 100 degrees, so what i did was tell leadtek bout it, they say to go send it back to the shop i bought it from (Malaysia) but i am currently in Australia and god knows where i put the receipt for the damn thing. ANyways, i told them i aint sending it to malaaysia and will just buy a replacement (zalman GPU cooler) duno which model but if u want i can dig it up, and replaced it. This was 5 months ago. everything aok.

Recently, things begin to look funny. artifacts would show up even during videos or even the damn mp3 visualisations. yea thats pretty F*%#. So i set everything back to normal speed (was 400/1100 back to 350/1000). It still happend. Now, i set it to a measily 330/930 thats pretty crap IMO. and even lowered the hardware acceleartion put a new coat of artic silver 3. AND IT STILL IS DOING DAMN ARTIFACTSS!!!. ill give you pictures if you guys want to see. Its not much but enough to annoy me. But when i play a game say warcraft, it will freeze completely after a while.

So back i am to Leadtek, and i say ok, 5 months ago my card was F*#@ed and is ok. But 5 months down the road, due to the damaged it had then, my card is now even worse. And yet again they tell me to send it back to malaysia.

My question is, what do they need for a RMA? Its more then 1 year old, bout 1year 6 months so can i still have warranty? can i have it since i opend the heatsink? Can someone tell me where leadtek's office is cuz i want to throw them a paperweight that will soon be from my graphics card.

p.s. oh note, i just formated my pc and installed the latest nvidia drivers to see if its my comp. :/ its not....

yeah..... that's one of the reasons i've strayed away from some of the bigger names of manufacturers. yeah.... it's nice to say "i have a Leadtek" or "Yeah, i got one from Asus"...... but most of them don't really have a very nice warranty to boot. if i remember correctly... both eVGA and BFG both warranty whatever overclocking was done to the card during manufacturing (Factory overclocking), whatever overclocking YOU do.... as long as it's not uber-extreme, and also if you replace the stock fan with a different one. not sure how Leadtek's warranty is.

Take a look at the Arctic Cooling range, its very good. Cooler and quieter!

As for RMA, do you take it to where you bought it or do you have to approach the manufacturer?

oh.... and i forgot to mention....... i think there must have been something more than just the fan not working for the video card to hit 100 degrees. when i had my Leadtek, a friend and i were playing Star Wars: Republic Commando. it actually got my video card so warm after extended play, that it automatically throttled itself down to next to nothing, and lost all texture in the game and everything. don't think there would be any way for a video card to get that hot without something else happening too. think normally if it still get's too hot it'd automatically restart the computer. Anybody else know if i'm right on that last point? i know CPU's will auto-reboot if they overheat too much... not sure about GPU's though.

The card should actually underclock itself to stop overheating.

The first drivers for x64 used to do it to me randomly, was well annoying.

I just got a 6800GT back from leadtek, using the RMA system, I had no issues.

LordOfLA said:
You overclocked the card. Tough luck.

I agree...if you are an overclocker there are cards that are manufacturer overclocked and come with a lifetime warranty (BFG). BUt when you take the chance of overclocking you void the warranty and will probably end up screwing up your card. Plus overclocking rarely (I'm not saying never) will show any breathtaking performance increases unless you are a super experienced overclocker

yep. eVGA and BFG are the only two brands i know that are REALLY forgiving for what their warranty covers. can do just about anything but snap the card in half or completely burn it, and it'd still probably be covered.

Without a receipt and the original stock cooler you can pretty much kiss an RMA goodbye.

As for overclocking video cards - DON'T. The last video card I ran overclocked was a factory overclocked gainward GE3. It started getting flaky at 11 months and died at 12 months, just after the warantee ran out.

Video card GPUs are running dangerously hot to begin with and undergo thermal cycling that borders on thermal shock. Pushing them is a bad idea. Even "factory" overclcoked is a bad idea.

LordOfLA said:
You overclocked the card. Tough luck.

yeah, well if u guys know bout the GT reasons people buy it was because it could easily, be oc'd to stock Ultra speed which i left it at. I mean have u guys seen the heatsink on that thing, well i could push it more but left it at 400.

Yea i know i kinda void warranty once i opend the fan, well i took off the whole chunk so emm yea. Well its always cool to say yea i got GT but oc'd to Ultra. guess i should have said ive got GT thats stock better then the 6800 vanilla :/.

Anyways leadtek maybe right bout the RMA'ing if i dont have the recipe, stock fan and also oc'ing so my best bet is to buy a BFG card next time. :( just thought leadtek was beefy enough to oc with no problems.

will let u guys know if my card dies eventually, other then that ill just keep using it till the end. Might as well wait for the AM2 and pci-e together. sigh....

damn leadtek.......

I don't want to sound mean, but thats the risk you take when you overclock something, but on the other hand if you do suffer burnout it gives you experience in how far you can push something next time.

Actually, I feel sorry for fantasi and kinda blame the manufacturers. They have made it easy to overclock video cards. It used to require some real effort like hacking the video bios. Now many of them supply overclocking tools with the card.

Manufacturers now brag about selling overclocked cards or overclockable cards. If they don't have a no questions 2 year return policy I consider it entrapment to get you to fry your card and buy another one from them.

LeeJend said:
Actually, I feel sorry for fantasi and kinda blame the manufacturers. They have made it easy to overclock video cards. It used to require some real effort like hacking the video bios. Now many of them supply overclocking tools with the card.

Manufacturers now brag about selling overclocked cards or overclockable cards. If they don't have a no questions 2 year return policy I consider it entrapment to get you to fry your card and buy another one from them.
but it depends on the company...some do allow overclocking and some don't...and also the fad of factory overclocked cards just recently really started to be more common. I don't think Leadtek did that with the 6800GT he is refering. All you have to do is check the warranty info in the manual of the card. If it says you can overclock then it's OK, if it doesn't it's not OK

To check the warantee info in the manual you have to buy the video card. ATI will not allow you to exchange a card after it is bought except for the same model. So you are stuck with anything of theirs you buy.

It just looks like the vid card makers are encouraging something that costs us by frying cards prematurely.

BTW Gainward has been factory overclocking since the GE3. I got screwed with one which is how I learned that overclocking GPUs is a bad idea.

LordOfLA said:
It ain't leadtek's fault. Its yours. Deal with it.

Ok with overclocking asside, how is it my fault that the fan died? the point im trying to make is that i could have easily gone for a MSI graphics card with a louder fan, but in stead i chose leadtek because it has a beefy yet quite hsf.

And i didnt even overclock it that much, i could have easily gone over 400 but i aint no fool so i left it at 400 which is the stock Ultra.

Thx for sharing my sympathy leeJend. Just using this as an example so next time ill buy a card that allows me to oc yet have that warranty to back me up.

on a side note, why is the treshhold for a GPU 120degrees. well it is on mine. shouldnt it throttle to slower past 80 or something. mine went 100+ yet didnt do jack till i saw physical artifacts while playing F.E.A.R a couple of months back.

fantasi said:
on a side note, why is the treshhold for a GPU 120degrees. well it is on mine. shouldnt it throttle to slower past 80 or something. mine went 100+ yet didnt do jack till i saw physical artifacts while playing F.E.A.R a couple of months back.

They let it get up to 120C?

My god, no wonder it croaked.

90C is considered absolute max for reliable operation of a high scale integrated circuit.

120C is the reliability limit for beefy power transisotrs and diodes.

yea its 120 on mine. and they dont let u edit it anyway. :/ well i found a program that might let me do it. its called NiBiTor.v2.8. will try it after. but heres a screen shot of the 120 :/

Attachments

• 120.jpg
    120.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 170
i agree with lee, the companies to tell you yeah overclock all you want and kids do this and **** up the card. personally i think o/cing anything is just stupid, just buy a faster card or deal with the lower settings.

If you o/c anything you void the warranty period. so keep that in mind.

Sounds to me that you fried your board and it is just about to die, chuck it out and buy a new one OR take a crap on it mail it to leadtech c/s.... or don't your choice haha

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back