ok my router died help me pick another one.

You guys do realize you will be paying international shipping charges on this trade right? Houston TX to London, UK

It was bad enough shipping ground to buddies in Canada. I don't even want to think of air to the UK. Ground would take forever (and get wet).

PS Go for the cheaper one. $20 for a proprietary speed boost which won't work with your existing computers is a waste. The new "n" standard and products will come out eventually and be cheaper and common between brands.

VenomXt said:
PMed you..... Have to make a list.

no PM here! :suprised:

am around today and pretty quick on the uptake with threads etc though - why not email a list and like whomever said (I did not expect this to be taken up!) you need to look into your shipping options - so whatever you send me keep it real light and easy! A well packed opteron would be cool! (j/k)...

The router cannot be made any lighter or easier apart from if I do not ship the PSU brick - but I expect you might want that, although remember it has a moulded UK plug! If you thought I was US and want to drop the trade I'll totally understand....

Lemme know on thread I guess since this is going out on thread also....

lol yah i kinda thought you were US i wil just buy one. But im Repping you for the offer.

VenomXt said:
lol yah i kinda thought you were US i wil just buy one. But im Repping you for the offer.

Wha Wha Wha?? dont forget I PM'd you that he even put out the offer, so you could get the router before anyone else...

*waits patiently*

points at sig!!

Hey Mainframeguy what version is yours? Iv been doing some reading and aparently as described here i dont want a Version 5 of the LINKSYS WRT54G (because of below) i want a version 4. NEwegg aparently according to feedback is selling the version 5 here. But as they dont list the version number in the details i cant confirm.... If i get this router i want the Version 4 as it has the 16 megs of RAm and 8 Megs of Falsh that LinkSys cut for the Version 5..

Speculation
Although it might not be too popular an idea, it's logical considering that Linksys doesn't want their $60 dollar router to be a $600 dollar one (Article: "The story of the Linksys Wireless-G Router (model WRT54G) and how you can turn a $60 router into a $600 router is a little bit CSI and a little bit Freaks & Geeks.") so that people are forced to buy their more expensive products.

So if yours is a Version 4 then it would be worth the shipping (plus some trade maybe). As cant find and confirme a Version 4 anywhere else yet.

Anyone have a idea where i can get a Version 4 LINKSYS WRT54G (NOT EBAY)

"WiFi Planet is running a story on all the advantages of Linux-based firmware for the Linksys WRT54G router. Little do they know that as of v.5 of the router Linksys dropped Linux and switched to VxWorks. And yes, they crippled the hardware (halved the RAM) so that third-party firmware can not be installed anymore."

ok did some more reading here.
If you are interesting in hacking this device, make sure you buy the WRT54GL model. Linksys has moved away from Linux in their standard WRT54G version. In addition, I am not sure if my distro will work with the new WRT54GL. Let me know if it works for you.

I just finished my review of the TRENDnet TS U200. The TS-U200 is a device similar to the Linksys NSLU2 with Ethernet and two USB 2.0 ports. And like the NSLU2, I was able to "get root" on it by using a flaw on one of the configuration web pages. The hole was very similar to the Linksys bug I use to install my distro on the WRT54G.

Decided on the LINKSYS WRT54GL As it is still using Linux as the firmware and there is alot of diffrent LInux based updates. Might be 20 bucks more but i like the amount of 3rd part firmware.. hehe.

Linksys WRT54GL Features

* Linux Kernel 2.4
* Based on the Broadcom BCM95352E SoC
* Hardware design is the WRT54G Version 4.0
* After market firmware upgrades
* All-in-one Internet-sharing Router, 4-port Switch, and 54Mbps Wireless-G (802.11g) Access Point
* Shares a single Internet connection and other resources with Ethernet wired and Wireless-G and -B devices
* Push button setup feature makes wireless configuration secure and simple
* High security: TKIP and AES encryption, wireless MAC address filtering, powerful SPI firewall

Good info on hacking it.

The “L” in the model number, WRT54GL, stands for Linux. The previous models of the WRT54G are also powered by Linux (version 1.0 to 4.0). The latest version of the Linksys WRT54G is version 5.0 and runs VxWorks. The move to VxWorks cut the memory footprint in half according to Mani Dhillon, senior manager of product marketing at Linksys. This claim appears to be based in fact because the Version 5.0 model only has 2MB of Flash and 8MB of SDRAM. “We still wanted to have a Linux SKU for the Linux audience,” said Dhillon, hence the WRT54GL.

As allways i need your guys input. What you guys think of this router? Do any of you have it? But your all gona have to wake up and post quicky because i want to order this tomorrow (JAn 27th) some time. My old router is like a 112 year old woman trying to climb flights of stairs.....

EDIT: After Reading through the page above and here. Im not sure if this is the right one or not in the area of flexibility of 3rd party firmware... Sigh I need your help! But no one is on tonight. So cold.. So very cold......

Last edited:
Thats what i was looking at. Im just wondering what would be better going for a LINKSYS WRT54GL or going for a Version 4 LINKSYS WRT54G (assuming i can find one).

Ideas?

Any more input? no wirless is drivving me crazy. the woman keeps coming to use my computer..

VenomXt said:
Thats what i was looking at. Im just wondering what would be better going for a LINKSYS WRT54GL or going for a Version 4 LINKSYS WRT54G (assuming i can find one).

Ideas?
This is assuming you can find a version 4 router (ebay?) and if so what condition? and do you trust it or E-bay enough to not have someone send you a bricked version 4.? Unless you can get Mainframeguys router, although you have to remember the brick that he is using is configured to a 220 Euro plug not a 120 American plug.

just my thoughts happy hunting!! Be nice and share your computer, with your woman....You'll get more.

Yah im thinking of getting the LINKSYS WRT54GL but to get the thirdparty firmware its 20 a year.
Sveasoft firmware and support is available for a yearly $20 USD subscription fee. A subscription includes unlimited access to firmware upgrades and unlimited access to priority support in our forums.

The L model is more expensive than the plain WRT54G. (ver1-5) one by 25 bucks more allready. So im looking at paying and extra 50ish for something that isnt any better but still has the flexiblity of the old one. And as far as i can tell Even unmodified that one had more options. I just wish i knew someone that had the WRT54GL allready hehe. Its failry knew so it hasent been disected enough yet. And just need someone hands on opinion's. hehe.

And the reason i bought her a laptop was to keep her off my computer. HEHE its mine! lol.

Edit.... Crap.... lol there is another model i missed. the LINKSYS WRT54GS it appears to be very similar too the WRT54GL model. People seem to be a bit frustrated with it on the reviews at newegg though.. But the WRT54GL hasent been mentioned of compatability with the sveasoft 3rd party firmware... The WRT54G WRT54GS are the only two so far. hmm..

Edit again.
But the WRT54GL hasent been mentioned of compatability with the sveasoft 3rd party firmware... The WRT54G WRT54GS are the only two so far. hmm..

Pulled this from the sveasoft's Forum
Hardware officially supported by Sveasoft firmware (latest releases):
Alchemy 1.0: WRT54G v1.0 v1.1 v2.0 v2.2 v3.0 v3.1 & WRT54GS v1.0 v1.1 v2.0 v2.1
Talisman/basic 1.1: WRT54G v2.0 v2.2 v3.0 v3.1 v4.0 & WRT54GS v1.0 v1.1 v2.0 v2.1 v3.0 v4.0, WRT54GL V1.0

So im defintly leaning that way now.. Even found this for a how to upgrade the RAM in it.

Yah i relize that im basically talking to myself now hehe your all probaly thinking Venom Shut up about the D*mn router hehe. But how else could i avoide studying for my calc test.

Last edited:
Nah man, I wouldn't think people are asking you to shut up. That's great information :)

Eh. when i buy something computer related i like to know eveything about it before i do. Get the biggest bang for your buck.

VenomXt said:
Any more input? no wirless is drivving me crazy. the woman keeps coming to use my computer..

that made me laugh :D - you could always take a short term approach there and het the required length CAT5 to keep her happy for the time bing - it is always handy to have one as a spare that is long enough for any application and it wil buy you the time to get the wifi stuff you are sure you want. I am assuming you have a spare port for that CAT5 of course.... and maybe I missed a trick given it was a router that died - was it a secondary one or the only one you have? I have of course assumed it was an additional one with the wifi on it...

CRAPTASTIC! One of my best friends has the WRT54G ver 3.1 models. LOL he knows i want it.. he said he would possibly trade later on.. Then i could use the linux Firmware update on it..

In better news Lynksys managed to release a firmeware update for my Current router a few months ago that i missed. And it seems to have fixed the stability issues and the wireless issues. Only time will tell. So its not all a bad day. Havent had to buy anything yet.

Actually my wirless keyboard was messing up for weeks and i got tired of it and banged the hell out of it.. Seems to be working better now too.. lol.

Mainframeguy said:
that made me laugh :D - you could always take a short term approach there and het the required length CAT5 to keep her happy for the time bing - it is always handy to have one as a spare that is long enough for any application and it wil buy you the time to get the wifi stuff you are sure you want. I am assuming you have a spare port for that CAT5 of course.... and maybe I missed a trick given it was a router that died - was it a secondary one or the only one you have? I have of course assumed it was an additional one with the wifi on it...

LOL thats exactly what i did. She was tethered too a 100 ft piece of cat 5.. and whining about it nonstop. Good thing i got the laptop for her or she might of whined more. lol.

HAZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

went to walmart today and found a WRT54g ver 4 for 52 bucks. Lets hope it works got the talisman firmware off *places* going to flash it and see what it can do..

Just a follow up to see how your new WRT54g ver 4 router worked out.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back