OK I need opinions and poll mebe

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Mainframeguy, Feb 23, 2004.

?
  1. ... luxury not necessity (BIOS shutdown OK)

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. ... Necessary all time period

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. ... run if unstable

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  4. ... use on configuration change (new device etc)

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

Since getting stable rig - stopped running temperature s/w by default (MBM or Probe) and not bothered with alarm for higher end temps.

Before the summer comes thought I'd see what risk I may be running...

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

I don't use one but if I was having heat problems I would. :D

3. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

Temp monitors are usually used for assessing the risk of overheating particular components (especially if you upgrade very often).
    Once you have established a cooling solution for these heat problems, there isn't a need for constant temp monitoring really.

4. Yharn

Yharn meh.

I run one all the time but not becuase I have to, but becuase I like to. Its more of a personal preference. Motherboard Monitor 5 what I use. What you might do is just check your temps in BIOS and if they are high and run risk of overheating in the summer then install one, otherwise don't worry about it, unless you are like me and want to install one.

5. RagnaroK

RagnaroK Must be dreaming...

Only run temp monitors when I find problems or overclock... and I also occasional check, just to make sure. :p

6. Henyman

Henyman Secret Goat Fetish Political User

i ocasionally have a look @ temps using mbm5, but outher than that i dont worry :D

7. Dubbin1

Dubbin1 I Like Cheese

If you're over clocking then yes it is something you need. I would still run one anyway just in case a fan dies and burns up your cpu.

8. Mainframeguy

cool advice

as a result I have fired up MBM (already used in past) and hidden it completely and adapted my RainMeter to show it neatly over the CPU histogram.... so I am sorted and always know how :cool: I am now!

9. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

frankly speaking... if you have tested your system and see what it runs @ on load and on idle... if the numbers are not ridiculously high there is no need to incur extra cpu overhead (regardless of how small) by running such an app in the background...

10. Mainframeguy

You're right - I just like the warm feeling it gives me - but when I need the speed I'll drop Rainmeter and try to remember to cancel out MBM too, meanwhile I keep myself informed. Machines these days can take this kind of thing almost as part of OS level activity IMHO.

But yes - you are right, I think.

11. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Just check your temps manually when you do your weekly defrag/spyware check/etc

The temps WILL start going up as dust collects on the fans and fins. Especially bad in winter due to low humidity from fored air heating.