Oem Xp

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Smokie, Nov 8, 2002.

1. Smokie

Smokie A Proud Australian

Can someone tell me if I can use a OEM full copy of XP Home that is licenced for the Philippines in Australia?

The packet is still sealed and has never been used.

2. Krux

Krux Nissan Powered

I wouldn't see why not.... but oem stuff tends to only work on the computer that it was packaged with.

3. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

Exactly. You should have no problems running it. I could bring my copy to Antartica if I wanted..

4. Smokie

Ok, thanks, that's all I wanted to know.

madmatt, you can take it to Antartica if you want but to cold for my liking. Oz will do me :D

5. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

Smokie, is Mars too hot?

6. ZAnwar

ZAnwar Guest

yeah!

7. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon The One and Only

an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) version of Windows XP will only work on the computer that it was shipped with.

8. Doom

Doom OSNN Senior Addict

Only on new pc's because it's on a hidden partition of your hard drive. My old pc came with an oem win 98 cd and I could put that on any pc I wanted. One thing to look out for when your bying a new pc. If it says you get a 80 gig hard drive with it you can bet in reality it's only around 75 as result of this.

9. surge

surge OSNN Senior Addict

OEM opperateing systems will work on any system
    i used to use an OEM version of XP Pro and had no problems running it on my pc that came with win98. OEM o/s are allways cheeper than the retial ones my XP Pro Full version cost me £130 inc nextday delivery

10. pacou

pacou Guest

I agree with surge no problem if the oem don't modified
    xp. you see that and the information system ( microsoft picture )
    the secure of xp it's the register only.
    regards.

11. vdubVR6

vdubVR6 Guest

OEM is not any diffrent,just not in a pretty wraper and its just a disk(s) that DELL, or any other computer manu. gets to place on there systems, thats why it must be sold or given with a PC or somekind of system hardware(even though thats not completly legit)

12. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

NO NO Smokie it won't work. Microsoft will pick up the changed location & melt your system. [Smokie stop reading HERE.]

(Now for rest of you. Of course it will work but we have enough migrants here now.) :p

13. damnyank

damnyank I WILL NOT FORGET 911

Smokie - it will never work down under - it is a "Home" version which only works up here (where Bill Gates lives) - so send it to me!

For Sale - OEM XP Home edition - never used - will not work "down under for bald headed men";) ;)

14. Smokie

Just to clarify something. The OEM I have is in a sealed packet and was bought from a computer store. It has never been used on any machine at all.

I have used an OEM 98SE in Australia without any problems on 3 different machines, but was just checking to see if the XP would work outside of the Philippines.

Hipster, I aint no migrant, I have a piece of paper that says that I am an Orstralyen..besides I have probably lived in Oz longer than you :)

Damnyank, sorry mate but I couldn't sell it to you. If it can't work "down under for bald headed men" I am sure it couldn't work for an old, big eared fugly like you. I just wouldn't be able to sleep at nights if I thought I had ripped you off. But then again, if you want to pay me a big heap of money for it, I might just consider it :D

15. damnyank

Smokie - I never said I was gonna pay U 4 it - I said send it and I will sell it!:D

BTW - what is an Orstalyen - I guess Hipster knows and an old fugly with big ears and a lot of hair, like me, is left out of the joke!;) ;)

16. Smokie

I made a rare typo Damnyank..it should have been Orstralyen

Americans used to think that we said Orstralya (isn't that somewhere near Germany was the next question) But I must admit that with some Aussie's it does sound like that.

Fair crack of the whip mate, I'm from Orstralya ya know :D

17. damnyank

I am so sorry Smokie - maybe there is something wrong with me - I should have caught on to the phonetic spelling - God I can not believe I missed that - I usually try to do my best - I must just be having a bad night (yes it is 8 PM here)

Smokie and Kerrie - please forgive me - I didn't mean to make us "senior members" of the forum look like we were slow catching on!:confused: :confused:

18. Smokie

8 PM, that must be well past your bedtime Damnyank old fella.

But me being not only good looking but a straight out nice bloke, I forgive you for your little oversight. Please don't let it happen again as we more "senior and experienced" members do have a reputation to think about.

I don't know what the reputation we have is, but we still have to maintain it no matter what.

19. damnyank

Smokie - I got a PM notification - but there is no PM for me.

If it is important - could you e-mail it to me at damnyank@hotmail.com ?

BTW - I will be gone until later tonight - going 100 miles up the road for a bowling tournament!

20. pacou

pacou Guest

don't work on microsoft products you say use him !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    regards