oem extraction. is it possible?

ming

OSNN Advanced
As most of you guys will know, manufacturers usually provide only a restore/recovery CD with their computers and not the actual OS CD. You usually get all the add-ons that not many actually use, such as MovieShaker, PictureGear and various other applications (examples on a Sony Vaio).
My question is, is it possible to extract the OS from the recovery cd so that when I need to format/re-install the OS I can get rid of all those stuff that I consider as junk - to improve performance of the machine?

Normally these recovery images are just that and don't actually contain the OS files on the CD, just one big image, they are constantly going thru a phase where they can't decide whether to give you an oem disk or a recovery disk, personally I reckon they should have the recovery disk on a hidden partition and give you the oem disk, you paid for and got a licence when you bought your pc, why not have the disk too ?

ming i have a sony vaio laptop, the best thing is to just uninstall it all when the recovery is done, it is a pain, but i don't think there would be too much difference if any in performance doing it that way.

Electronic Punk said:
Normally these recovery images are just that and don't actually contain the OS files on the CD, just one big image, they are constantly going thru a phase where they can't decide whether to give you an oem disk or a recovery disk, personally I reckon they should have the recovery disk on a hidden partition and give you the oem disk, you paid for and got a licence when you bought your pc, why not have the disk too ?
you didn't pay for xp if you bought a comouter with an oem. (original equiptment manufacturer

you payed for the right to use the os on that hardware only...you have no license otherwise

manufacturers pay very little licensing fess to image xp as part of their hardware...it's win win for everyone...ms gets free advertising, the manufacturer pays very little for the os, and the consumer pays very little for the computer as a whole

surpised to tell you the recovery disc of this gateway is both, an image and a full xp disc...pretty good system gateway has going here

Last edited:
Just go find the cheapest O.E.M. you can buy and slipstream it.

most of the OEM disks that i have seen are a ghost image of an installed version of xp. no cabs. so i dont think it will be possable

Weird one tho there Perris, imho these days you don't pay for the software you pay for the licence. The licence is going to be on the bottom of the laptop stuck to the case, so I wouldn't think that getting an oem copy of windows somehow was any different than backing my own copy up. The only hitch would be that MS don't offer replacement versions on there site, but then one illegal key could open it all up. Another point to argue my case is that you could take that OEM key, type it into MS and they will send you a licenced albeit OEM copy of x64.

it's s sticky issue for ms...especially since they shrink rap the eula when you buy a computer...for that, they would have to refund the cost of shopping and buying the computer if a consumer wanted to decline the user agreement...they allready bought the box...there would have to be a user agreement signed on purchase for ms to win in a court I think...a consumer could press this paradox I think

I wonder what a court would decide

I bought a PC a few years ago, with xp home and the crap apps it came with on a partition *.H, with a factory restore disk, with an image link created with powerquest's drive image.

For some reason the image got corrupted so I could not do a factory setting so I phoned the computer company and said I wanted the full version on disk and they sent me it, maybe try that apporoach.

lancer said:
ming i have a sony vaio laptop, the best thing is to just uninstall it all when the recovery is done, it is a pain, but i don't think there would be too much difference if any in performance doing it that way.

Uninstalling doesn't neccessarily give you a performance boost as junk are usually left behind in the registry and not all registry cleaners actually clean out these residuals from my experience.

How much are oem cds anyway? Not sure if I'd want to spend too much on them. Also, can I get one without the license since there is already one with my machine?

ming said:
Uninstalling doesn't neccessarily give you a performance boost as junk are usually left behind in the registry and not all registry cleaners actually clean out these residuals from my experience.

How much are oem cds anyway? Not sure if I'd want to spend too much on them. Also, can I get one without the license since there is already one with my machine?

Yes get a copy, you have a licenced machine, so should not be a problem.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back