NVrefreshtool killed my monitor

G

GhaLeoN

well not exactly killed, but heres what happened

On my old comp, I installed the thing, it made changes to the registry, I rebooting, and the monitor acted like there was no signal......it was a blank screen, even though the computer was on and functioning properly.

it took me booting in safe mode, removing the prog, and reinstalling nvidia drivers to fix the problem.

even worse, with this monitor, im still seeing tearing in games.

Is this b/c of the monitor or what? Its an AMD 850 witha gefroce 2 Ti card.... its definately not a box that should be seeing tearing,

plz help, thx

My guess is you set the refresh rate too high for the monitor. Check the monitor manual or website of the manufacturer and see what the spec is for the given resolution that you are running

download the correct drivers for your monitor so that it can detect the correct Refresh Rate for your res.

NVRefreshTool killed my 19" monitor. It made it become a WideScreen so i lost like 4" off the sides and i couldn't resize it at all.

I use RefreshLock... Much safer on my monitor.

www.pagehosting.co.uk/rl/

Originally posted by dadx2mj
My guess is you set the refresh rate too high for the monitor. Check the monitor manual or website of the manufacturer and see what the spec is for the given resolution that you are running
Yep, that'd be my guess too.

try refreshforce - made by the same guy who wrote refreshlock make sure your monitor drivers are installed and dont set the refreshrate to high :D

You know, most settings above 70Hz aren't noticeably different. I usually just set it to 70-75 Hz, just as long as it's not at that dreaded 60Hz...which is REALLY bad in a room with flourescent lights.

Originally posted by scriptasylum
You know, most settings above 70Hz aren't noticeably different. I usually just set it to 70-75 Hz, just as long as it's not at that dreaded 60Hz...which is REALLY bad in a room with flourescent lights.

75Hz is the flicker free threshold. 75Hz+ and you will not experience any screen flickering.

As it has been debated many times, Human eyes are VERY sensitive. In a controlled environment, Fighter Jet Pilots can see an image that is displayed for only 1/200th of a second. These guys are trained to do so. (btw... thats an equivalant to 200fps)

The refresh rate limits how fast an image can be drawn. Unless your monitor is fast enough, your not likely to see more than 120fps... (Your Hz controls your viewable fps as anything that goes faster begins to create what is known as Screen Tearing where the image being sent to your monitor is too fast for the monitor to handle and it begins to go gluggy)

You can either use VSync (and see a slight performance hit as your GPU actually has to work harder to control how much it is allowed to output) or you can use internal frame limits (such as in Half-Life the max_fps command can be used to limit how many fps is sent to your GPU)

I did not know RefreshForce was made by the guy who made RefreshLock... But RefreshLock does what I need it to. (although it could use a Icon revamp =P)

thx for the replys

but im pretty sure the prgram auto detected the refresh rates for the monitor, and set it to 75 hz for the majority of resolutions....

Its an older MAG Innovision monitor. They have win2k drivers on thier website, but Im not sure if they are the right ones... We shall see how it goes.

not to pick but?

1/200th of a second. These guys are trained to do so. (btw... thats an equivalant to 200fps)

Thats impossible for the human eye/brain sorry I was under the belief it was 30fps but I do belive we are all the same (humans) and we cant see faster than 60fps np matter what training is involved we just cant do it .

Was not meant as an insult just info for the brain:D

Well, I would say 200Hz is a bit high for someone to detect, but I suppose anything is possible; kinda like saying some people can hear 30kHz.

But you CAN notice 60Hz refresh rate. Try setting your monitor to 60Hz when using lights, esp flourescent. You'll notice an irritating flicker. Really, though, you're not actually seeing 60Hz, its the interaction of the monitor refresh frequency and its resonance to the room's lights, which are also running at a certain frequency (60Hz in the US)

reforce

Yes 60hz we see a flicker that is for sure after 70hz its gone I run most all my res's at 85hz

it was not meant to start a war about what we can - cannot lol but trust me no way in hell we see 200hz not even close :D

Kermit: i am not saying 200 continous frames in a second...

The experiment had them sitting in a pitch black room with an image shown on a screen for only 1/200th of a second.

While i'm not saying we can see that quickly, but these pilots have to see the world in a blur and try to distinguish things.

Although this may not be an imagineable peak for a real life situation, its still possible.

There are a lot of things about our brain which we do not understand Kermit so don't discount them.

I don't know about you but if we can only see 30gps then you go buy your old 16mb video card and go play a game at 30fps and tell me u can't see a difference.

I can see the difference up to about 85Hz. Some can see a lot more and some can see less... But you definetly can see greater than 75Hz. You may not conciously know it but use a screen at 60Hz, 72Hz, 75Hz and 85Hz each for about a day or 2 and you tell me which one makes ur eyes the least tired.

Nuff Said

Nice to know people read the instructions :)

Anyways, NVRT is safe on the monitor because it only uses registry settings. This is the reason David and I created the program, because both of us enjoyed the simple and safe usage of the registry in the original refreshfix program.

I did place a warning, I believe, that the program may or may not do that.

I do also believe we state that the PnP monitor driver doesn't work correctly...if not, I apologize so and I'll place that in the readme file in the installer....

Unfortunately Microsoft hasn't been all that 'great' in helping us with PnP monitor driver detection, but that's entirely up to that driver and from what I can gather I *THINK* the max for the driver on ANY monitor is 85Hz, despite what the windows settings say.

It's a very generic driver, definitely use the 2K/XP drivers from the manufacturer's site, and you shouldn't experience any problems.

Oh, and next time try emailing us and we'll work something out. If this is in fact a bug of some sort, let us know.....heh...

Re: reforce

Originally posted by Kermit
Yes 60hz we see a flicker that is for sure after 70hz its gone I run most all my res's at 85hz

it was not meant to start a war about what we can - cannot lol but trust me no way in hell we see 200hz not even close :D

I said was not a flame???

anywaysI said we see at aprrox 60fps not 30(was my a myth)

and I said yes we see a diff but after 72 flicker is gone I aggreed to that??

And if you want to get right into it we can start showing where we get the info? I say we see at approx 60fps and its a medical fact!!

Hmmmm after reading all posts I have come up with this formula:

1- Use 75mhz.

2- That's it.

I too was under the impression the max fps that the human eye/brain can distinguish was 60. Of course if you are using 70 or 75 it is faster than the eye/brain can detect so it would appear to be totally seamless at those rates. I heard something about the subconscious being able to 'see' a single frame at 60 fps but the conscious would not be fully aware of what it saw. shades of orwell's 1984. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back