NVIDIA NDIS IO Control Driver - Help

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Dennis T, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Dennis T

Dennis T OSNN Junior Addict

When looking though Event Viewer, I found the following error.

The NVIDIA NDIS IO Control Driver service failed to start due to the
    following error:
    The system cannot find the file specified.

I've done search after search to find a solution, without any luck. There
    appears to be no problems with my system, but I would like to find some help
    with this.

I'm using Windows XP Pro w/ SP2, I use an NVIDIA Geforce FX 6800GT

I just do not like mysteries :)

2. alainsane

alainsane OSNN One Post Wonder

Hi, Dennis.

I don't have a solution for you, but I thought you'd like to know I've been getting the same messages too. I have the same card (dual-DVI ports variety) running under Win2k3.

I'll post under here if I find anything out, and I hope you might too.

Cheers!

3. alainsane

The only thing I'd add is that I had the NVIDIA DVD Decoder software installed at one point, but it was interfering with my ability to edit MPEGs in my favorite MPEG editing program, so I uninstalled it. That's the only salient thing that comes to mind. I find it puzzling that there's reference to a file being missing, but no explicit mention of which file it is that's missing. *shrugs*

4. jlibster

jlibster OSNN One Post Wonder

Hi, I have an answer to get rid of what appears to be sloppy installation by Nvidia. The error is caused by a service entry in the registry (presumbly by the Nvidia DVD Decoder install as I didn't have this problem until I installed it) which you have to remove using either regedit or regedt32. Find the following entry and remove it entirely:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\NvNdis

the error message will then disappear. If you get the error "can't find file" id DEFINETLY isn't doing anything for you. :) Note this Nvidia DVD decoder is still beta. Suggest we avoid it until it isn't beta. ;-)

Jonah A. Libster

5. alainsane

Thanks very much. I saw that there was no corresponding service in the Services applet and promptly deleted the registry entry. Cheers!

6. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Yeah, I also see this problem, I will slap NVIDIA about for it.