Nvidia Geforce series

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by stewartbmw2000, Jun 11, 2002.

1. Just about to get a geforce 2 mx 32mb from a friend, I have surfed these forums a lot and there is a lot of talk of refresh rate fixes different drivers, 3rd party and official and overclocking etc etc

I will be using the card for games mainly, GTA3 SOF2 and the like.

I would just like to know what drivers, programs I need to get the card working at its best.

Also what settings to tick/untick in the display properties if needed

Cheers in advance..

2. stuy_b

stuy_b Guest

Goto the utilities/ downloads on xp-erience.org.

Theres all the files you need.

You;ll want the nvrefreshfix util, again on main page :D. As for which drivers.. go for the official ones off www.nvidia.com

Njoy :D

3. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

On that note is it worth installing refresh rate fix's. My last PC (not missed) was a 1ghz T-Bird with a 32mb GF2 and i was lucky to hit 50fps in quake :(

4. Don't worry so much about the refresh thing, 'everyone' doesn't have the problem. No matter what drivers i install my refresh rates work fine with my monitor regardless, and i've never had to use a refresh fix to date. And usually d/ling the latest ceritified drivers from Nvidia will always work. Or if you're in winXP (which i assume you are) you can just use windows update, the driver update on their site usually works fine. One thing a lot of people don't know though is that you should always uninstall your current drivers, then reboot before you begin installing new ones. For the longest time, my old Geforce 2 GTS would lock up during games, I could never figure out what the problem was, but it was cause i was installing drivers on top of older drivers so to speak. So make sure you uninstall your current drivers and reboot before installing new ones. Also, I hope you're not expecting good performance in SOFII or GTA3 w/ a Geforce 2 mx. For today's standards thats a very slow card. I would suggest something from the Geforce 3 or 4 series (not Gf4 mx though.. they are simply faster Geforce 2's, they lack the new technology).
    There are a lot of budget cards out there, i recently bought a Geforce 4 ti 4200 for $179 and it performs great. I get 9333 in 3d Mark 2001 se.
    Thats my 2 cents.

5. Alex_is_Axel

Alex_is_Axel .:: FTPAlex ::.

I have the Geforce 2 MX 400 series and i can tell you all one thing.. The rumours about the poor running of the card are true. Its slow, sluggish and very 'UN'analised. Now adays i cant even have games running on 800x600.. i need to run them on 640x??? (by somethin i cant remember) but i need that just so i can prevent alittle jumpyness of the frames. On Comand and Conquear Renegade on the start menu screen, i got 32fps which i know is rubish and that screen hardly has anythin to run around.. talk about POO quality. The reason why i know this is because a friend of mine has a Geforce 3 ti500 and there is a big change in the frame rates :( ... ive tried everythin to get my Geforce 2 to run abit better for example the Detonator XP's but no such luck except alittle quicker loading times. I think Geforce 2's are just really old now.. last generation stuff unlike Geforce 3's and above :mad: (grrr at new graphix cards). Does anyone know how the Geforce 2 Ti runs like?

Thanx for reading

Sincerly Alex
    :(

6. Cosmin

Cosmin Graphic Designer

sorry but this is not the discussion subject - > with that card he can surely play games until the end of 2003 so far ..

7. Cosmin

Cosmin Graphic Designer

we will see - i'll call u on the end of 2003 with results :D

8. thanks for the advice, I know the card is old but ive been given it by a m8 to replace my voodoo3 so im happy either way :)

I played GTA3 on it 640x480 and it seemed to run satisfactory for me since im used to a voodoo.

I'll tell you the results after i install it in my p3 700 256mb ram

9. Cosmin

Cosmin Graphic Designer

very good selection .

10. well it doesn't work great, very choppy, more good luck has come my way though and another friend who doesnt play games just word processes and surfs etc has got a better geforce2 series and I've installed GTA on his machine and it works great, so I'm swapping mine for his.

Havn't told him yet but I'm sure a couple of pints and my old card would suffice :D

11. Misfire

Misfire OSNN Addict

i have geforce2 mx400 64mb and it runs my games fine . gta3 runs good, but i really need a ram upgrade. i have 128ram and i get chokes on warcraft 3, once it loads it will go smooth.

12. Eolis

Eolis Guest

First off, I have the same card with 64MB. With WinXP, yiou REALLY should have 512MB ram. Everything I play now runs just fine at 800X600. Yeah, I'll probably upgrade to a GF4 soon (by fall), but for now, what I have runs fine.....

13. Cosmin

Cosmin Graphic Designer

at what GF4 have u thought about ? i'm curious .. :rolleyes: