Nvidia Geforce series

S

stewartbmw2000

Just about to get a geforce 2 mx 32mb from a friend, I have surfed these forums a lot and there is a lot of talk of refresh rate fixes different drivers, 3rd party and official and overclocking etc etc

I will be using the card for games mainly, GTA3 SOF2 and the like.

I would just like to know what drivers, programs I need to get the card working at its best.

Also what settings to tick/untick in the display properties if needed

Cheers in advance..

Goto the utilities/ downloads on xp-erience.org.

Theres all the files you need.

You;ll want the nvrefreshfix util, again on main page :D. As for which drivers.. go for the official ones off www.nvidia.com

Njoy :D

Originally posted by catch23
You're going to get terrible performance from those games and future games on that card (if any at all for future releases)...it is a bit old.

On that note is it worth installing refresh rate fix's. My last PC (not missed) was a 1ghz T-Bird with a 32mb GF2 and i was lucky to hit 50fps in quake :(

Don't worry so much about the refresh thing, 'everyone' doesn't have the problem. No matter what drivers i install my refresh rates work fine with my monitor regardless, and i've never had to use a refresh fix to date. And usually d/ling the latest ceritified drivers from Nvidia will always work. Or if you're in winXP (which i assume you are) you can just use windows update, the driver update on their site usually works fine. One thing a lot of people don't know though is that you should always uninstall your current drivers, then reboot before you begin installing new ones. For the longest time, my old Geforce 2 GTS would lock up during games, I could never figure out what the problem was, but it was cause i was installing drivers on top of older drivers so to speak. So make sure you uninstall your current drivers and reboot before installing new ones. Also, I hope you're not expecting good performance in SOFII or GTA3 w/ a Geforce 2 mx. For today's standards thats a very slow card. I would suggest something from the Geforce 3 or 4 series (not Gf4 mx though.. they are simply faster Geforce 2's, they lack the new technology).
There are a lot of budget cards out there, i recently bought a Geforce 4 ti 4200 for $179 and it performs great. I get 9333 in 3d Mark 2001 se.
Thats my 2 cents.

I have the Geforce 2 MX 400 series and i can tell you all one thing.. The rumours about the poor running of the card are true. Its slow, sluggish and very 'UN'analised. Now adays i cant even have games running on 800x600.. i need to run them on 640x??? (by somethin i cant remember) but i need that just so i can prevent alittle jumpyness of the frames. On Comand and Conquear Renegade on the start menu screen, i got 32fps which i know is rubish and that screen hardly has anythin to run around.. talk about POO quality. The reason why i know this is because a friend of mine has a Geforce 3 ti500 and there is a big change in the frame rates :( ... ive tried everythin to get my Geforce 2 to run abit better for example the Detonator XP's but no such luck except alittle quicker loading times. I think Geforce 2's are just really old now.. last generation stuff unlike Geforce 3's and above :mad: (grrr at new graphix cards). Does anyone know how the Geforce 2 Ti runs like?

Thanx for reading

Sincerly Alex
:(

Originally posted by catch23
You're going to get terrible performance from those games and future games on that card (if any at all for future releases)...it is a bit old.

sorry but this is not the discussion subject - > with that card he can surely play games until the end of 2003 so far ..

we will see - i'll call u on the end of 2003 with results :D

thanks for the advice, I know the card is old but ive been given it by a m8 to replace my voodoo3 so im happy either way :)

I played GTA3 on it 640x480 and it seemed to run satisfactory for me since im used to a voodoo.

I'll tell you the results after i install it in my p3 700 256mb ram

Originally posted by stewartbmw2000
I know the card is old but ive been given it by a m8 to replace my voodoo3 so im happy either way :)

very good selection .

well it doesn't work great, very choppy, more good luck has come my way though and another friend who doesnt play games just word processes and surfs etc has got a better geforce2 series and I've installed GTA on his machine and it works great, so I'm swapping mine for his.

Havn't told him yet but I'm sure a couple of pints and my old card would suffice :D

Originally posted by stewartbmw2000
well it doesn't work great, very choppy, more good luck has come my way though and another friend who doesnt play games just word processes and surfs etc has got a better geforce2 series and I've installed GTA on his machine and it works great, so I'm swapping mine for his.

Havn't told him yet but I'm sure a couple of pints and my old card would suffice :D

i have geforce2 mx400 64mb and it runs my games fine . gta3 runs good, but i really need a ram upgrade. i have 128ram and i get chokes on warcraft 3, once it loads it will go smooth.

First off, I have the same card with 64MB. With WinXP, yiou REALLY should have 512MB ram. Everything I play now runs just fine at 800X600. Yeah, I'll probably upgrade to a GF4 soon (by fall), but for now, what I have runs fine.....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back