nvidia Drivers

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by o0RaidR0o, Jun 26, 2003.

1. o0RaidR0o

o0RaidR0o OSNN Addict

I use nVidia's GeForce4 Ti 4600, and the currently installed drivers are 40.72.

My question is what is the opinion concerning the constantly released updated nVidia drivers and whether or not should one update to each release?

Thx ahead.

2. chaos945

chaos945 Moderator

The drivers at the link below are not too bad, saves me a bit of time since they are 'pre-tweaked' and are updated only with major NVIDIA releases, thus (assuming official releases are good) keep speed, quality and stability to the maximum.

If your a 'speed tweaking freak' or just want to experiment with new features that beta drivers may or may not have, then by all means download the new drivers that seem to never stop pouring in, but if you do want speed, quality and stability then just use official releases.

Omegadrive's Official Homepage

3. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

fyi :)

omega has been issued a cease and desist order from nvidia's lawyers to stop putting out OMEGA's of their drivers..

4. Bman

Bman OSNN Veteran Original

Its not that much of a trouble, yea they come out alot of the time. What i do is download the latest one, then do i what i usually do. Then after awhile, i think to myself "hey i havent got my video drivers for a while" so then i go and get the newest ones out there! Doing this is much easier.

5. versionfiv

versionfiv OSNN Addict

Wow. Nvidia is nuts.

6. chaos945

chaos945 Moderator

No kidding! Damn, must have missed that article. Too bad, the Omega Drivers are not too shabby.

7. Sazar

not an article..

go to the DH forums.. there were rumours and Zardon himself posted saying he is unlikely to be making omegas of dets anymore due to behind the scenes reasons :)

8. Gus K

Gus K NTFS abuser

I've pretty much stopped updating them. Seems to be alot of hassle, with no real difference between any of them. If all seems right, why bother?

9. Alex_is_Axel

Alex_is_Axel .:: FTPAlex ::.

whats up with 44.03?

Im using the 44.03 drivers and i personally think that every time there is an upgrade.. most of the time, there is a boost in performance from the card but maybe thats because im using Geforce 2 MX 400 ::confused:

Alex :cool:

10. Gus K

Gus K NTFS abuser

Doesn't sound right, most of the so-called improvements are for the GF4's, they pretty much gave up worrying about cards from 2 generations ago.

11. Alex_is_Axel

yea but surely if they're trying to improve GF4 cards, there will be some help in the drivers relating to the GF2's considering same drivers are being used... but i dunno, ive just noticed improvements which keeps me happy for a while longer :D

:cool:

12. coathanger007

coathanger007 Tomorrow Tweaking Today

Ahhh gone are the days of optimized 3dfx drivers which really added features and performance. With Nvidia, best bet is too stick with the originals. Not many mods out there.

13. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

The last, best I saw was the 41.09. 40.72 was a good driver too.

Everything since has been an attempty to squeeze a few more points out of the benchmarks. Real game performance has not improved for a long time. The 40.72 and 41.09 seemed to improve texture quality some on my GE3 card.

I think the 4 designation means they are optimised for the GE4 series.

SAZAR?

14. Silvio

Silvio Argentinean Dogo

Hey Alex is Axel, im using an old Gforce 2 too, and i ve just heard that its better to use an old driver better than a new one for this "old" card, could this be true?
    Its logical to think that if its new it ll bring improvements, but in the other hand ,its logical to think that those new drivers would be made with the new cards in mind.
    I always have the last drivers, but now im thinking i will try putting an old one to check.
    So, i dont know...
    Any one do?

15. Alex_is_Axel

personally, ive found that over time, my Geforce 2 has performed better as the new drivers are being released but that my be my opinion. I like the new drivers and i hope to see them keep on comming :D hehe

16. Alex_is_Axel

However, trying out some older drivers could be interesting to see.. but if you've noticed on the new drivers, it still states that the Geforce 2 Series are still supported with them :confused:

17. Sazar

eh ?

nah the det versions are unlikely to be based on version of the graphics core... may be possible lol.. but I dunno... I think its more to do with the feature set each brings...

the 50.xx series is on the sidelines waiting to debut... dunno what this will bring to the table but I sure as hell hope it enables most of the features in the FX gpu's

18. coathanger007

coathanger007 Tomorrow Tweaking Today

44.90 drivers are the fastest that I've benchmarked. Omega drivers not very stable on overclocked card and perform much slower than 44.71 and 44.90. Wish there was a substantial performance increase rather than petty insignificant tweaks - driver performance for geforce 4 and below pretty much can't be improved any further - statistically impossible.

19. Nedreplan

Nedreplan Guest

Isn't the 44.03 drivers aimed mostly for the FX card?
    As it is only WHQL:ed for them.... :confused:

Quote:
    "Delivers an incredible 30% increase in performance over previous Detonator 40 drivers**

The industry’s best Microsoft® DirectX® 9 support
    Ultimate “The Way It’s Meant to be Played” experience
    -------
    * 44.03 is WHQL Certified for the GeForce FX family of GPUs
    ** Performance results based upon GeForce FX 5600 Ultra running UnrealTournament 2003 Antalus flyby." - End Quote.

But then... with the 50.xx drivers they might also let go of the GeForce 4 cards....

20. what is the point in saying you wish they would bring out a substantial proformance increase when you go on to say it is impossible, allso I benched the 44.90 on 4 different systems all running 2500+ bartons and ti4200 and it was getting 1000 less than the 43.45 dets but we can only go of our own systems and they all profer there own set of driver combos.