Nvidia 7800 GTX is out and in stock

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Sazar, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

A pretty nice card, and SLi capable out the box.

As the benchmarks will show, pretty much all games are CPU limited till 16x12 res and then when you apply AA and AF it starts to really outpace the previous gen products.

New games as well as any CPU advancements will make it more interesting (multi-threaded, improved single-threaded performance) as the frame-rates will fly through the roof.

ATi's next card is not scheduled for at least a month and a bit so this card is going to rule the roost for at least a month and a half with no competition, and in SLi config probably longer (till crossfire shows it is anywhere near as good as it looks on paper). At that time Nvidia will probably drop a new product like the 7800 Ultra (32 pipe, 500mhz mem clock? :smoker: lets speculate :D ) to compete with the r520.

Good times ahead.

Can find it at www.newegg.com , in stock with 3 manufacturers, list price of $599.00 which is pretty nice.

Reviews available at.

http://hardocp.com/article.html?art=Nzg0

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2451

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20050622/index.html

Card pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Definatly the new top end card, for the time being, but I can't help but feel that it isn't worth the upgrade for me.

The only reason I will upgrade is because if I switch to dual core it would be silly to stick with AGP (if you even can)... I am very impressed that such good drivers were released with it, something that sadly didn't happen when I got my 6800 ultra.

Gotta be impressed it is out there already too. The power of the NDA!

3. Son Goku

Son Goku No lover of dogma

That is one honking big cooler on that thing... Perhaps not as big as the leaf blower that was attached to the original GeForce FX cards, however :D All said, that's one honking big chip on this thing, so...

I do wonder one thing: Slight issues with the earlier drivers, for which driver optomizations should be comming soon?

http://hardocp.com/article.html?art=Nzg0LDEw

Compare the Doom 3 benches new gen to old:

7800 GTX shows a minimum fps of 25 and an average of 53.4 in Doom 3. The 6800 Ultra shows a minmum 30 fps and an average of 55.1 fps.

I'm in class so don't have time to read through everything, but did take a quick look at the Doom 3 benchies. Driver not making as effective use of the new card is what I'm suspecting about now...

4. Electronic Punk

Well at some point it is going to max out, there is always a bottleneck and I don't think the graphics card in that system was it :)

5. Electronic Punk

I think I am gonna cheat and look at ordering a dual core sli alienware system next month, there is just no way I can compete with those prices buying the componants, unless there are any good alternatives to Alienware?

6. Petros

Petros Thief IV

*buys lottery ticket*

Come on baby...I need my dual 7800s and an Athlon 64 x2 4800...

7. celticfan11

celticfan11 Moderator

building it yourself and save 1000's over alienware/?

8. iceman7311

iceman7311 OSNN Senior Addict

9. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Dell will have a dual/dual solution out soon. Intel based, not AMD but still gonna be a heck of a lot cheaper, plus better support than Alienware :)

Or, BUILD YOUR OWN EP :D

What kind of example are you setting for the rest of us peons if you get all lazy n stuff :)

10. Electronic Punk

Yeah, think I will stick to the original plan... I have time, waiting for dual core and that new creative card and that coolermaster case... will it ever end?

I think I just got a little overexcited at the prospect of not having to dig around inside a pc for a bit trying to get it stupidly cool.