Ntldr

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Madtripper, Jul 24, 2003.

1. Madtripper

Madtripper Guest

I recently decided to re-install XP. My previous install was starting to generate multiple errors and I had actually installed it with a different motherboard and cpu than I currently run so I knew its time was up.

I formatted a separate partition on my system and installed XP to it. Once I updated everything and got my programs running, I decided to format my previous install. Well, since then, I get the ntldr error at boot up. I've had this issue before and the only way around that I found was to reinstall XP. Of course I just finished getting it to where I wanted it so I'm not crazy about that idea. If anyone has a work around, please advise.

Tripper

2. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

you need to boot to the XP CD and use the recovery console. Use the command FIXBOOT

The boot files are always stored on the primary hard drives first partition, so when you formatted it, it erased the boot files.

3. Madtripper

Madtripper Guest

I was really hoping that would work but it didn't. Anyone have any other ideas before I jack my system up once more? I looked into the BOOTCFG command also but nothing seemed to bring it back to life.

Tripper

4. Madtripper

Madtripper Guest

I had tried FIXMBR prior to my first post but didn't have much luck. I ended up going towards the reinstallation and there is a repair option if you have a previous install. I went through the motions, which was just shy of a full install, and so far, things seem well. Thanks for the input and I'll post if it goes sour and I have to do a complete install.

Tripper

5. Madtripper

Madtripper Guest

Just an FYI, the system has been less than stable since my "repair". I took notice today that it dumped all my updates so looks like I'm back to formatting again.

6. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Wipe the entire drive this time & start from scratch. Should get rid of anything causing issues.

7. Madtripper

Madtripper Guest

Appreciate the comment but I was trying to avoid that step. Unfortunately, that is exactly what I had to do a few hours ago. That repair option just left things too flaky. Made me feel as if I installed 98 overtop of my goods. Anyway, thanks again for the input.

Tripper

8. Corvette

Corvette Sauske!

And if you are wanting to know what BOOTCFG does,
    It is a (command line) program for editing the boot.ini file which contains information about where other OS's are on diffrent hard drives/partitions