NTLDR is missing

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by ep0niks, Apr 29, 2004.

1. ep0niks

ep0niks OSNN Junior Addict

It is the second time i get this error..

First time : dual boot on brand new Maxtor SCSI 36gigxp/mdk10 using Lilo 2.xx

Mandrake was booting like a charm, but whenever i wanted to boot to XP i get a NTLDR is missing

Second time : dual boot on brand new Maxtor 7200rpm 40gig (MDK) + Maxtor SCSI 36gig (XP) same thing.

Linux is booting fine on both hard drive.. maybe MBR problems.. but since they are brand new hd.. I just don't know.. and oh here's the spec of my pc if this can help

MB : Gigabyte 7VAXP KT400
    CPU : AMD XP 2600+
    GFX : Radeon 9600 Pro
    HD : Seagate Barracuda 120gigs - Maxtor 7200rpm 40gigs (New) - Maxtor Atlas 3 10K SCSI with Adaptec 2940w SCSI Card
    DDRAM : Kingston 768mb (512 + 256 ddram 333mhz)
    PS : TR (??) 450watts
    DVD Burner : LG 4081b

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Haven't tried this one>>

NTLDR Missing

"To correct the problem, the user must boot the computer with a Windows 95 or 98 Startup diskette or another bootable diskette with sys.com on it. Then, at the "A:\>" prompt, type "sys c:" and press "enter." A "System Transferred" prompt should appear and then the user must reboot the computer without the diskette."

3. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

what is your boot sequency in your bios?

if you are having problems you can try changing the sequency to reflect the o/s you are going to use and disable the rest...

I had a similar problem when I setup the wrong hdd to boot from in my sequency (I don't allow auto-detect or search for bootable devices... I specify which devices/drives to use for booting)

4. ep0niks

i did change some bios settings.. like CR-ROM/SCSI (with XP)/IDE-0 and SCSI/DISABLED/DISABLED or IDE-0(MDK with the boot loader)/SCSI/DISABLED..
    the best result i got is something like Read error on disk - Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE instead of NTLDR is missing *sight*

Oh btw, i don't allow auto-detect neither.

5. ep0niks

didn't try what Hipster Doofus have pasted.. just got pissed and perform a low-level format on the SCSI.. so this must be NT loader screwing up a little.. gonna re-install XP tomorrow.. we'll see then

Thanks guys.