NTLDR Causes

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Teddy, Aug 14, 2003.

1. Teddy

Teddy Boogie Nights...!

Happened to me again today...my hard drive (and Windows) freezes, reboots and when attempting to start windows xp home it comes up with the message 'NTLDR is Missing...' and restarts again.

Luckily i managed to remember how to fix this but does anyone know why this happens in the first place?...or how to prevent it happening again?

Thank you

2. phishhead

phishhead OSNN Senior Addict

quick question are you oc'ing your cpu like a mad man. because I've seen this when the fsb is set to high for the devices(hard disk, gpu, ram) also to fix this just boot from the cd and run a repair install and should keep all your settings. or you could run a SFC /SCANNOW from the run box. let me know if it helps.

3. Teddy

Teddy Boogie Nights...!

Don't overclock in the slightest. Nothing at all is over its stock speeds, FSB etc.

A repair install is the long way round, all you need to do is copy the NTLDR from your XP CD on to the c:\windows\ area.

Thanks for the reply abodo.

4. phishhead

phishhead OSNN Senior Addict

I understand that the easy way is to copy the file over but if it has happened before then there is another issue that is why I suggested the SFC and the repair install ;)

5. Teddy

Teddy Boogie Nights...!

The first time it happened i did do a format/reinstall.

Im just curious WHY it happens. Is it something specific to Western Digital HDDs?

6. dj_karl

dj_karl Guest

not been funny here

but leaving a none bootable cd/floppy in the machine could cause this

7. Teddy

Teddy Boogie Nights...!

Dammit....it just happened to me again!! Surely twice in 2 days is more than average.

Could the PSU (eg problems with it) possibly cause it?

Grrr.

8. scriptasylum

scriptasylum Moderator

Is there anything in the System/Applications section of your event history that hints at a probable cause?

9. Teddy

Teddy Boogie Nights...!

How do i bring up the event history?