NTL now NOT to impose rigid cap

BonyTony

OSNN Senior Addict
NTL now NOT to impose rigid cap on 1Gb bandwidth as customers not going over the top and the policy upset a lot of NTL customers.

Just trying to find the source of this information as its not on the ntl site yet...will add on more later.

Found 1 link but you have to read half way down page HERE

Thanks for the correct source...i hate it when someone forwards me info and does not say where it came from.

n/p
I still think that everyone over reacted about the cap at the time, I mean if it was a real issue people would still be bantering on about it, but as far as I can see, most people have realised that 1gb/day is fair, especially considering that some ISP's limit to between 3 and 10gb a month!

I think if NTL had implemented it in greater force or used dissconnection methods then it would have never heard the last of it, but even though i know people who have strayed over the limit (over what ntl says on consecutive days) they have not been contacted.
I cannot imagine the amount of downloading those few dozen people did to be contacted by NTL !.

Well there's no legal things you can download that size everyday (linux is a bad excuse, you grab one iso, one day, then you have it)
So i'd say that the people complaining are basically warez queens, because they can't get their illegal apps and movies they go and cry about it, TOUGH!

Thats my opinion anyway :p

Your 100% correct real excuses are few and far between.....streaming tv.....pay per view films....family camcorder films from overseas....linux ....heard it all before !.

Any normal person and even those downloaders can keep under the 1gig cap if they try it`s called self control...but as always their`s always the ones who abuse the system to the max ruining it for the rest of us.

This is one of the reasons I think that the so called "Broadband revolution" is a bad thing, companies are always complaining about bandwidth usage and so on, then they go and give the end user a 2mb line ..

It's a strain on server owners/admins, its a kick in the ass for app/movie makers. Of course no-one wants to stay on 56k forever, there has to be some sort of limit though, which is why these caps are in place, NTL have said that they won't come round your house and give you a kicking when you reach 1025mb it's simply a guideline, and I think thats great, its just like saying "you should be downloading this much, if your doing more can you please cut down a bit, thankyou"

Well you cannot argue with that.

Just a note on those unfortunate 56k users who cannot get cable or ADSL....

A new partnership between Tiscali and Eutelsat – Europe’s leading satellite operator – promises to bring residential satellite broadband to areas without ADSL or cable.

Tiscali’s new one-way Satellite Fast Internet Access will be rolled out through Eutelsat’s OPENSKYa platform in 15 countries over the next few weeks.

“Millions of homes beyond reach of terrestrial broadband access will be able to gain access to broadband services,” said Giuliano Berretta, CEO of Eutelsat.

Initial trials in the UK are planned for the summer.

Edit-...just after i left this page i hopped onto the register and its there...is there nothing that site doesnt post :huh:

Heh, the reg are hounds for tech news :)

I havent read the article yet but isnt satalite VERY expensive?
like £200 for setup, then the monthly cost of whatever, but thats only for downloads, you still need an (would have to be unlimited package) dial-up accounts costing another £15 or so on top.

The best thing that's going to happen is when they manage to carry data sterams down the electricity lines, if you have a computer, you have electricity, therefore you can grab some broadband out the socket :)
thats currently going through a lot of testing, will be great when its ready to go public.

i heard you gotta launch your own personal micro satellite lol :)

no but it is a strain on you wallet

Hahaha, I can imagine someone like BT trying to pull that one actually.

"Home install kit" you get a dial-up modem and a build-it-yourself satellite with launching kit

they should try paying for broadband and then being limited to 1GB per month metered between 6am and 1am. Between 1am and 6am, its unmetered. But I can tell you that was hell, accidentily leaving KaZaA on, could cripple you for the rest of the month

It’s a strange thing this NTL company. I already have their cable service connection installed but about two years ago (after they brought Cable and Wireless) they upped their prices considerably so I left. No one ever came round to collect all the kit and it’s still here (and working) but un-used (hums). I received a letter from NTL last Thursday offering a 1mb or 512k connections, for not that much more (for the 512k) than I already pay to Freeserve for a 56k connection which, by the way, still throws me offline every two hours and they have the cheek to say (via email today) that I need to use a different dial-up number (again) to access the internet. However when I went to NTL’s Website to take up the offer I was asked to type in my postcode and the message “Broadband is not available in your area”.

As this was the case more than a year ago and I live within half a mile of Tower Bridge right in the centre of London surrounded by large business operations and industrial estates with one of the highest densities of population in Europe I telephoned the number on the document they sent. The reply I received was: - “There are not enough potential customers living in your area to justify the cost of implementing the service”.

Is this the broadband provider of the future, I think not.

Thanks for the excuses BonyTony, now i have plenty to fend them off with next time they send a letter...

you actually got sent a letter? my download habits havent changed, yes, more often than not i exceed the 1gb barrier and i havent heard a peep out of them.

then again, they havent taken payment from us since the end of february...

Yeah, and no...
I have heard of people getting letters, and on occasion i do go over 1Gb per day. And yes NTl are pretty useless when i comes to collecting cash, i got, ahem, mischarged for a while too. All sorted out now though.

Thing is, all these people who say that you should'nt be using it that much, its only for warez etc. I say, kiss my ass, and why? Well, i pay 25 quid a month for a 600k (always on) link, and i will bloody well use that link how I please. If you dont like that - tough, what's that NTL - you dont want my 25 quid - you want to disconnect me - well, go ahead, i dont give a monkeys i'll just move to an another service provider.

The thing that really gets me is that the take up on BB would be NOTHING like it is now if it wasnt for file sharing apps. And then they start complaining because people actually USE the link :eek: , kiss it. So tell me idiots, exactly what do you waste your money on each month with BB if you not file sharing? And dont tell me its because you want web pages to load faster cause your a total money wasting muppet if thats the case, you can only download demo's once, and a cheapy 128k link is more than enough for online gaming. So why do they offer 512K, 1Mb And 2Mb Connections (so you cant use it?).

Also, you dont hear all the swedish and american ISP's complaining when they offer 2mb links that everyone is filesharing. NTL, "Please sir can we have your cash, oh and your on a 12 month contract", 1 month later, "Oh we forgot to mention- you can only download a 1GB max per day, sorry".

And as justification for the above, NTL has now, albeit semi-unnoficially, removed the "cap", could that be because people werent buying their BB anymore?

"So Tell Me Idiots" < i hope that is not intended for US in this forum...

If NTL were booting everyone who exceeds the cap off then your post would be valid...but they are NOT they have advised a small number of users to be more sensible and for the few extreme abusers removed their internet connections....thus helping your quality of service...is this not what you want ???.

No one can justify downloading at full speed 24 hours a day 7 days a week for months on end ...i class that as extreme abuse as i see it the loss of customers or those who threatened to leave NTL are very very small....after they thought long and hard about it.

This topic on the cap is old and tends to get out of control also most people have got the anger out of their system by now so keep it nice;)

I dont care about the cap it would just be nice to be offered any type of broadband :( and not only does it suck at downloading the actaul cost of using it (even just Im messaging) is a joke. I mean when i was at university i had 128k broadband NTL which was cheaper than 56k dial up where is the fairness in that :mad:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back