Ntl help - lease time

A

aphexking58

Please help.

I have NTL Broadband trouble. I have rang them about my problem. They say the fault is on my computer but I am unsure.

I only get a lease for an hr or up to 24 hrs, after that I will lose my connection. This is the problem

For example if I got an hour lease and I turned my computer on at 9am on the 23/11/02. It would say in local area conection status details.

Lease obtained 23/11/02 09:00
Lease expires 23/11/02 10:00

After this time I would have to re-boot my computer to be able to go on the internet.

This should not be happening as my friend with NTL broadband gets a 5 days lease, and its always changing so he never loses his connection. I have spent hours on the phone to ntl. They keep telling me different things to do. They say it is not at there end. I think it is. This has been happening since I got it in September.

First they said I have something wrong with my network card, so i changed the connection to the usb connection. Hvae been changing their views all the time.

Now they say its my firewall, what do you all think. What should i do. should i uninstall it and see if I still have the same problem. I am really thinking of leaving ntl.

Thanks

Rich.

:mad:

what sort of firewall are you using, is it block the dns servers. These are I.P Addresses 194.168.4.100 & 194.168.8.100
Have you checked that internet explorer (if you are using that) is set up to automatically detect dchp settings, also check in the network connections your internet protocol (TCP/IP) setting are both on automatic.
My lease only averages 1 day

I hate to blame NTL but i keep having the same random problem...the lease date varies from a few hours sometimes it says a day but it ends up being 3 and when the lease expires bye bye my connection i tend to try repair but generally no luck so i reboot the modem and pc.....I have also tried eveything Nic/cables drivers....even reloaded windows removed all traces of firewall checked xp firewall is off....now i am used to it so it only annoys me for a few mins.

Even tried the crappy usb option (how that sucked)but still got the same problem.And have spent ages looking in the ntlhell forums for a answer.

i think its more an ntl problem than a computer problem... with ntl, who else is there to blame?? lol

have you tried going to the command prompt and typing

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

that should gain another lease as im pretty sure thats what rebooting would do.

i know when ntl goes down, they say turn the pc off, turn the modem off (or digibox in my case), wait bout 30seconds and turn the modem/digibox back on, then turn the pc on when the online light is static on the modem/digibox and then it'll work ok. however, i have gone to command prompt in the past and typed "ipconfig /release" and turned the digibox off... waited a minute and turned it back on. when the online light was static, i typed "ipconfig /renew" and the modem then worked fine.

thats kinda what makes me think it isnt a problem your end, but rather one at their end... continually having to release and renew your IP can be incredibly annoying, but at least it might save you a moment while waiting for reboots or whatever. have you tried resetting the actual modem though (just to make sure it isnt something that can be fixed by a full modem reset?). Jus unplug it, wait bout 30secs -> 1min an turn it back on.

g/l

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back