Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Ayanes21, Jan 24, 2002.

1. Ayanes21

Ayanes21 Guest

I was wondering if any one knows how to check what file system your running(NTFS, FAT32) and where one would go to switch from either Fat32 to NTFS or vice versa.

Any help would greatly appreciated
  2. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

Open Windows Explorer, right click on the drive/partition in question> properties. That first property page will tell you what kind of File system is on the drive.

In the run box, type in 'command' or 'cmd' and hit enter, in the command window that opens, type in 'convert x: /fs:ntfs.' 'x' being the drive/partition you want to convert. To convert a drive from ntfs to fat32 you'll need third party software such as PowerQuest's Partition Magic.

There are some really good articles that you should should read before converting your drive(s):

3. vince1956

vince1956 Guest

thanks lonman

Once again you come through.THANK YOU..
  4. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

You're welcome. Glad it went well for you. You'll like NTFS, lot's of security options to play with :)
  5. Highwind7777

Highwind7777 Guest

actually, dont play with the security options

I locked myself out of c:\program files and had to ghost an image back on to get back to normal...
  6. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

Re: actually, dont play with the security options

lol... sorry, sometimes these things hit the funny bone, he he. :p
  7. dArK_CyAnIdE

dArK_CyAnIdE Guest

um lonman what "extra" featuses does Ntfs have ? and how can i "browse" though them... im a real newbie when it comes to hdd lol
  8. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

Open Windows Explorer> Tools> Folder Options> 'View' tab> Scroll to the bottom of the list and untick 'Use simple File Sharing.' When that's applied, you can right click on just about any drive/folder/file> properties and and you'll have a new security tab. There's also some good articles around on using that stuff. Don't lock yourself out of program files now, he he. ;)