ntfs to fat32

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by FishBoy, Mar 15, 2005.

1. is that safe to do or are there possibilities that the process might fail and i lose all my data? im gonna convert it with partition magice 8.0 coz ubuntu doesn't seem to be seeing my disk which is ntfs

2. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

Always safer to make a backup of everything before you change the format/size/partition of a drive. There's always a 50/50 chance that you might lose something in the process.

3. do you guys think that the reason my disk isn't showing on ubuntu is because it's ntfs?

4. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

5. cool so linux supports all file systems except for NTFS it only reads off that, but it doesn't explain why my ubuntu doens't see my ntfs at all, i can only see it in the device manager it has

6. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

I believe NTFS support is mainly supported in 2.6 kernel and Ubuntu either isn't running 2.6 or just didn't compile in support for it. Also NTFS -> FAT32 is a bad idea. You would have to backup data, format the drive NTFS and transfer data back.

7. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

8. well i usually find out by experimenting i did that backup stuff and forgot that fat only takes files up to 5gb.... stupid file system so now i have to find a way to get all my files to stay on that disk and be able to use ntfs normally with ubuntu

edit:
    and yet this is what that link is for :D thx i'll try that when i boot in ubuntu

9. vern

vern Dominus Political User Folding Team

The default kernel in Ubuntu might not support NTFS, but I haven't checked. You might also have to mount it manually.