NTFS in Mozilla

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Geffy, Mar 21, 2003.

1. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

I am just wonderin if you Mozilla users actually put up with or ignore this or is there a way to fix it.

NTFS.org in Mozilla

2. Jewelzz

Jewelzz OSNN Godlike Veteran

I ignore it, it's only on the front page news not the forums

3. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Ditto ... everything else on the site works perfectly, and tabbed browsing really helps when u want to open a bunch of threads at a time ... just middle click all of them ;)

4. Geffy

how do I turn on the middle click open in new tab??
    I can get it by right click, but not middle

Personally I think I like the Opera 7 "Open in Background" thing, it keeps you on the page you are working on and opens the links in another page. Its great for opening a separate window for each thread in the User CP or a thread search

Now that I got both of them workin with my site, and have themeded them all up, I am going to try and use them.

5. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

You can find the option for middle click in your Preferences.
    When u middle-click a link, it opens in a new tab in the background.

6. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

I take my vote back. You didn't say home page.
    Put me down for ignore. :D

7. Gus K

Gus K NTFS abuser

Looks like someone is using some non-standard code.

8. Geffy

hehe they have 565 errors :p

most of them are meta tag problems

9. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Of course there are compliancy issues, that comes from using an un-compliant portal system ;)

As for the Mozilla problem, I think its down to a single <p> tag, I remember someone telling me, anyway, I just ignore it, the news and info i want is still available, even if the header IS screwed.

10. Geffy

lol a <p> tag, it always comes down the smallest things doesnt it

11. Kevin Ar18

Kevin Ar18 OSNN Senior Addict

Yes, it's all because of an open <p> tag.
    However, this is a bug with Mozilla as well. Despite the incorrect coding, Mozilla should not do this. I've already filed a bug report on it.

12. SPeedY_B

Whats the bug in Mozilla ?
    I would have thought that it was rendering as its told (it being told by the "<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">" tag at the page header)?

13. Kevin Ar18

XHTML is very strict; you are correct. One of the things is that it requires is that all tags to be closed. However, as far as I know there is nothing in the XML or XHTML specs that says it should mess up a page the way it does NTFS.org when a tag is not closed. In fact there is nothing I could find in the specs that said how to treat messed up XML.

14. SPeedY_B

if its messed up, Mozilla will treat it that way.
    If the page specifies a doc type then Mozilla will VERY scrictly treat it that way, if the code gets messed up, then so does the rendering.

If the (doctype) tag was removed, then Mozilla would give a little slack and render it as good as it can, possibly even rendering it how its intended.
    Browsers like IE compensate in the same way, but ignore doctype's completely, which is nice for an end user, but bad for compliancy.

15. Kevin Ar18

One question for you. If the page is not coded correctly, how should the browser mess up the page? What should it do to the page to mess it up?

Strictly speaking, even if you took the incorrectly coded page of NTFS.org, nothing in the "errorneous code" tells XML to load the page that way.

16. SPeedY_B

If its not coded correctly the browser will mess it up because its trying to render it in accordance to the regulations set by w3.
    The reason its trying to render along a strict set of guidelines is because the page has a doctype tag at the very top.
    I've just tried removing that tag, and it renders fine in Mozilla.

try this:
    In Mozilla Go to http://www.ntfs.org
    Save the page to your Desktop/Hdd
    Open the html file in notepad
    remove the top line, then save
    open it in Mozilla now.

17. Kevin Ar18

I'm aware of the exact problem code. I'm actually the one that said it was the <p> tag and the Doctype causing the problem a long time ago. Since then I've filed a bug report at Mozilla.org.

I guess the question I asked was not accurate.
    Consider this sample code:
    PHP:
              <td>
              <
    p align="right">
              <
    img border="0" alt="edge" src="edge.gif" width="24" height="30">
              </
    td>
    Imagine that is has the XHTML Doctype.
    Now, you will notice that it has an unclosed <p> tag. My question is, according to XHTML/XML specifications why would it put a space before and after the image? The above code, according to the standards, does not say to put a space before and after, so why is Mozilla deciding to do that? So far I have not found anything in the specs that say Mozilla should do that for XHTML/XML documents.
    Despite the incorrect coding and the Doctype, I have not found anywhre in the specs where it says to treat the incorrect coding for XHTML in the manner that Mozilla is treating it.

18. SPeedY_B

Ok, I see your point now.
    Do the standards deal with the many possible "ifs" though?
    e.g. in this case: "if a p tag is left open, then .... "
    if the site was 100% compliant there wouldnt be a problem, thats a fact, but there will almost always be problems, and i dont think that a compliant browser has been built to handle these.
    I think that you're right that it is Mozilla at fault here, but I also think that w3 have a small part in it to.

19. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Run a check on virtuanews.co.uk
    It is compliant.
    Just waddy was rushing to do it or something :O

I will ensure that the new themes I am working on, slowly, will be wc3 / xhtml compatible before I publically release them!

20. Kevin Ar18

Basically, 1) I'm just curious :) so I'd like to know why it does this.
    2) Mozilla is cable of handling erroneous code as evidenced when you simply remove the Doctype, so that makes me wonder why it can't adapt when there is a Doctype.

There's also been discussions as to what should a browser do when it encounters bad code on pages like NTFS.org when the page SPECIFICALLY declares a strict Doctype. Should it act like a c++ compiler or PHP and not even work - thus not show the page saying there's an error? Or should the browser be lenient even though the Doctype is meant to stop people from coding errors? :)