ntfs/fat32

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by [CpK]Bastid, Jul 2, 2002.

1. [CpK]Bastid

[CpK]Bastid Guest

Is there any problem using fat32 on my primary hard drive(20gb) and the using ntfs on my secondary(40gb)?Any conflicts i might run into?...secondary drive used solely for mp3,videos, not running any programs from that drive.

ok thanks

2. sboulema

sboulema Moderator

This is one of your one word answers :D

3. [CpK]Bastid

[CpK]Bastid Guest

no there shouldnt be a problem
    or no i shouldnt do that:)

explanation NEEDED!!!!lol:)

4. Ice-Freezer

Ice-Freezer Guest

fat32 cannot read ntfs. ntfs can read fat32 through fat32 u want be able to access your mp3 files on ntfs

5. Dick Johnson

Dick Johnson Guest

Ice-Freezer
    XP Home

fat32 cannot read ntfs. ntfs can read fat32 through fat32 u want be able to access your mp3 files on ntfs

Report this post to a moderator | IP:

THIS IS WRONG!!!!! Fat32 doesn't read anything---period. The operating system XP reads/writes Fat16/Fat32/NTFS. Just partition the exact way you started and it will be fine.

6. 2z

2z OSNN Gamer

<<<<< similar setup win98se on C & the final partition F containing XP on NTFS the advantage being if I suffer HDD failure I can still gain access to my HDD through DOS were as if NTFS is the primary partition I would lose access to everything.

7. mbunny

mbunny Guest

NTFS is a good file system.

the only issue is if you don't have a good recovery method. The WinXP cd has plenty of functionality to fix NTFS boot problems.

If you see yourself in the foreseeable future using Linux then i recommend you use FAT32. Linux can read/write to it where as you can only read NTFS under linux and even then you are required to have root access. (if someone knows how to read/write NTFS please tell me)

FAT32 is still good but as ur HDD gets bigger consider using NTFS

8. 2z

2z OSNN Gamer

Re: Re: Re: ntfs/fat32

:rolleyes: thanks for that catch23 dunno what I'd do without you
    ;)

9. 2z

2z OSNN Gamer

:D ok NTFS is on the last partition all my good stuff is stored on the previous FAT32 partition. Now when the hdd has a funny turn I can gain access to the first three FAT32 partitions using good old DOS
    ;)