NTFS and FAT32

R

Romeo26222

Hello everybody
I have winxp and I Installed it on a NTFS partition and the other partitions are FAT32 but this causes me that
1-when I am trying to zip a big file i always get a CRC errors on it
2-when trying to burn a zip file to a cd it damaged after burning and get CRC errors too

but when installing the winxp on a FAT32 partition there is no such problem

But winxp is faster on NTFS partition so what can I do?
thanx

convert the other partitions to NTFS, unless u can't.

:cool:

I agree. No reason to have FAT32 unless you have software/apps that wont run under NTFS.:eek:

Ok but what can i DO to access the NTFS partition from DOS mode

Windows XP doesn't use DOS.

Basically to gain access to any NTFS formated partitions, is the same for FAT 32 formats, i.e. boot up with a Win98 boot disk in the a drive. This is not "true" dos.

Originally posted by Iceman38
Windows XP doesn't use DOS.

Basically to gain access to any NTFS formated partitions, is the same for FAT 32 formats, i.e. boot up with a Win98 boot disk in the a drive. This is not "true" dos.

When i boot from win98 boot disk it didn't detect ant NTFS partitions:confused:

True, only the fdisk utility will be able to access NTFS partitions, why would you want to view any other thing using semi dos mode? In other words explain what your trying to do.

First you have to run fdisk and remove the partition.....then re-create it....then format :D

To do that, you might just as well boot from the WinXP CD, remove the partition and create a new one. WinXP will then offer you the choice between FAT32 and NTFS, provided it's smaller than 32 Gb or else it will make it NTFS. Before reinstalling it will also automatically be formatted. Any non-system partition can easily be formatted from within Windows XP. The only real reason to use fdisk to remove and recreate partitions is when you want a FAT32 partition bigger than 32 Gb.

btw... what is the best?? all drives to ntfs??
currently i only have my c drive as ntfs.... other is fat32....!!
so does it affect....erm... mayb performance??

Absolutely! Read: http://www.digit-life.com/articles/ntfs/index3.html and decide for yourselve. But if anyone says NTFS is much more reliable, don't believe it. It does have it's advantages, but there are also drawbacks. The battle is not over yet.
PS: If you are using Ghost to make images, you need at least one FAT32 partition to store the image. Won't do on NTFS.

Conclusion: NTFS has the most effective searching system. We have noticed, that there are different optimization methods for FAT16 and FAT32 to reach the higher speed. Though in DOS you won't get it.

This is a quote from the site you suggested. Which I completley agree with.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back