Norton memory test

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by shiatsu, Mar 28, 2003.

1. shiatsu

shiatsu OSNN Addict

I fitted a second 256MB PC133 chip and decided to test it with Norton Utilities. After a few seconds Norton told me the test had failed at a particular memory address.

So I decided to try the memtest86 program outside of Windows. This tested clear after running through all the tests available over a period of some 20 minutes. I repeated the testing and left the machine running until it had completed 10 cycles. Again this tested clear with no errors.

My PC seems to run okay.

How reliable is the Norton test and should I just ignore it?

Thanks, Alan

2. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Well I trust the memtest more anyway. It has direct access without Windows being in the way. Does the computer work well with the stick installed? If it does, Norton is probably wrong for some reason. Try with that stick only too.

3. shiatsu

shiatsu OSNN Addict

There seems to be no problem running the computer but as I only got the extra memory last Sunday it is probably too early to say that everything is working fine with complete certainty! I did try another chip that is known to be okay and passed the Norton memory test on another M/B. I got the same error message from Norton but once again memtest86 was fine with no errors after 2 hours of continous testing.

I'm going to try the new memory chip on a different M/B to see what happens. Will let you know.

Thanks, Alan