Norton Internet Security (Symantec) 2004

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Lee, Jul 24, 2004.

1. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

I bought it today, includes, Norton Antivirus 2004, Norton personal Firewall 2004,
    Norton Privacy Control, Norton Antispam and Norton parental Control.

Works fine, don't hog system resources, feels good.

Anyone had any problems that has used it longer than me, that could make me aware now incase I stumble across them?

2. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

NAV2k4 is the devil :p Well other then taking 5mins [a real figure] to open some programs I didn't have much trouble with it like others. :)

3. Ferral_Imp

Ferral_Imp Moderator

NAV 2004 had a tendency to give me an error message that I need to reinstall it cuz it couldn't verify my subscription or something. All I did after I found out it was a known bug was just restart the comp and it would go away. I haven't gotten it in a while though so maybe symantec fixed it.

4. tibboh

tibboh Arte et Marte

Lee - how much is it (£'s) an does our local friendly (??) PC world stock it?

5. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

I've seen so many problems with NIS and NAV I would never use them or recommend them. NIS has a tendency to slow your internet connection down and I've seen NAV 2004 become disabled and give no warning message, more than once. I've also seen NAV miss dozens of trojans in scanning for them and by blocking their install. I literally had AVG find viruses that a fully updated NAV missed in about 80% of the PC's I fix thta are madly infested.

AVG 6.0 Free and Sygate Personal Firewall are both better IMHO and are free.

6. ZeroHour

ZeroHour ho3 ho3 ho3

I use sophos and Outpost Firewall Pro.
    Outpost is the dogs k*ob :D

7. Evil Marge

Evil Marge I Rule Political User

That happened to me,was having problems and someone recommended trying a different virus scanner as Norton found nothing.Tried AVG and found 3 Trojen's.
    Never used Norton since.

8. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

Bought it at Argos for £49.99, electronics boutique I usually by minor software in Bromley, when buying my size 19 shoes and trainers from a larger sized shoe shop.

EB was out of stock, funny thing was after building the PC, found the o.e.m. software pack and guess what was going on it for nada?

You guess Norton IS 2004 and Norton Ghost 2003, ahhhhhhhhhhhh!

If I had waited just 1 more day:(
    Yep they do it's been reduced or a special net offer.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0712253563.1091052121@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccchadcmdhflgjjcflgceggdhhmdfhn.0&page=Product&sku=956902

9. chaos945

chaos945 Moderator

Norton Internet Security Sells for about $99.99 CAD, £62.40, $75.21 USD here.

10. Xie

Where you buying it for $75 USD? You can get it for like $50ish I believe.

11. chaos945

chaos945 Moderator

Most retail stores in my area are selling it for that, not that I use it personally.

12. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

I thought I would mention a big update for this product in respect to the firewall module.

It updated my firewall detections and insisted I disabelled the xp firewall. It almost threatened me with violence :p Anyone else notice this?

I get the feeling it has compatibility issues with xp firewall.

13. Xie

It's saving you TONS of trouble is all ... you should never run 2 software firewalls at the same time. ;)

14. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

Forgot it was on by default. Mr Norton knows best I guess :p

15. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Will check out this update when I get home.
    Need to get the NAV one too.
    2 things I haven't installed yet since the format yesterday.

Tho in all honestly, NAV should have been one of the first things I got installed.

16. macromp

macromp the retarded one

i'm here again, any idea how to open ports? i'm sure i've looked this time and i can't find it (i probably shouldn't be allowed to own a computer). it won't let me see halo server and teamspeak server queries on websites. on the ts query it says:
    Data unavailable.
    TCPQueryPort may not be open

and the halo servers it's trying to query are there because i went on them to test it. help?
    these queries used to work fine when i was using the trial version of internet security 2004, but i bought internet security 2004 pro today and since installing it it's having none of it.

edit: the query on the site doesn't work but it works here:
    http://www.nontent.net/halo_query/index.php?ip=82.192.80.132&port=2410

i don't know anymore, could just be the site. :rolleyes: