Norton Ghost Question?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by danke, Mar 13, 2002.

1. danke

danke Guest

I just installed XP, it rocks!
    Anyway, I already have winME (!) on C: , so I create a partition and install XP on D: , what I'm asking is, can I just image D: with Norton Ghost as backup? I'm not familliar with boot system, as for as I know, XP put boot.ini in C: . Can I just image D: and when trouble comes just restore it ? Would it be able to boot?

Thx

2. gothic

gothic LinuXPert

There are a few files (ntldr, ntdetect.com etc.) that reside on drive C, and that Windows XP depend on, also XP alters your MBR (master boot record) to enable the loading of itself. I also have Me on Drive C, and XP on Drive D, what I do is to make one large drive image (I use Powerquests Drive Image, but Ghost is just as good) of both partitions.

TOK:)

3. danke

danke Guest

thx for the reply,
    So I need to image both C: and D: in one large image? Can I do this in Ghost? All I can see is to image a partition or a disk. Do I need DI to do this?

4. danke

danke Guest

OK, forget about winME, I like my XP lot better ;)
    So the next question will be... can I just upgrade the winME to XP, considering I already have XP installed in other partition? So I'll have 2 partition running XP. Will this work?
    Anyone?

5. gothic

gothic LinuXPert

I woz just wondering, wouldn't it be a little simpler just to do a bit of formatting, and then do a clean single install.??

6. danke

danke Guest

you're right :)
    But I was wondering if I can just upgrade so I won't have to reinstall program etc..
    So, ehem, how can I do it? Can I just boot from XP CD and format the C: partition from there? Pls help me step by step, I'm a newb :D

Thx

7. pmcartney

pmcartney Guest

You could do that, but frankly I'd do a recovery of your entire system if it came with such a CD then install XP over ME, then you used the entire DISK. I am more inclined to agree totally on doing a complete clean install. OR you can still dual boot as is, just install your current programs in the XP partition BUT have them point to the C:\Programs file vs the drive you have XP on.
    Saves alot of Space!

--Rich