Norton antivirus 2004 (beware)

I have read this thread three times and have not come to any kind of firm conclusion. Is NAV 2004 fixed - or should I renew my NAV 2003 - due in about 18 days!

The $ difference between the two is not going to kill me - but why get something new when what I have works and is not giving me any problems???

TIA for any advise!

Personally I will stick with 2003 when it expires I am going to network solutions, for both antivirus and firewalls.

Originally posted by damnyank
I have read this thread three times and have not come to any kind of firm conclusion. Is NAV 2004 fixed - or should I renew my NAV 2003 - due in about 18 days!

The $ difference between the two is not going to kill me - but why get something new when what I have works and is not giving me any problems???

TIA for any advise!

I personally would say stick w/ 2k3 but I suppose if you believe there will be a "fix" in the next yr you could spring the difference and have 2k4 when the said "fix" is available.

I have left compressed file scanning off and haven't had a problem since.-

Don't know if anyone is paying attention to this thread anymore, but for me, turning off the compressed file scanning is not a fix, as it was already turned off.

I've had Norton 2004 installed for only 2 weeks, and started noticing the slowdown a week ago. From the get go compressed file scanning was turned off. The program is completely up to date and makes web browsing a nightmare. But on a different machine in my office, 2004 has been working for over 2 months now with no slowdown.

Such is the way with computers I guess.

My renewal of 2003 the 18th of this month is looking more and more like the way to go!:confused:

Originally posted by zidox
Don't know if anyone is paying attention to this thread anymore, but for me, turning off the compressed file scanning is not a fix, as it was already turned off.

I've had Norton 2004 installed for only 2 weeks, and started noticing the slowdown a week ago. From the get go compressed file scanning was turned off. The program is completely up to date and makes web browsing a nightmare. But on a different machine in my office, 2004 has been working for over 2 months now with no slowdown.

Such is the way with computers I guess.

My "slowdown" was w/ some programs taking forever (what seemed like 5mins for some) to open .... the system overall worked the same and web browsing didn't seem to take any hit either. Very odd how some ppl can run it w/ no problems while others take a performance hit.

damnyank: I think your logic will work. I'd stick with something that works.

Sorry to bring this up again - but I have 2 days till renewal - still planning on renewing 2003 unless I hear differently about Nav 2004!

TY in advance!

damnyank: just renew 2003,.... 2004 doesnt do anything special.... your just gonna get headaches right now.... its wierd cause my system runs fine... but my bros is horribly slow (on the internet) and i can't find out why.... did all known things and still nothing, ....lates

RaZoR

Well, after following this thread since it's start - I went ahead and spent the $19.95 on the renewal for my NAV 2003 and thanks to everyone who had input into this thread - I feel confident I made the right decision - just wanted to thank ya'll again!:D

well it seems like they finally have fixed the problem now. just run live update and download the new patch.

Originally posted by andy_rose
well it seems like they finally have fixed the problem now. just run live update and download the new patch.

They just release this patch today?

*Edit* - just looked over the symantec site (as I was already there grabbing latest definitions as NAV found/deleted a file I don't think was really a virus this morning ::sigh:: ) and I don't see anything about a NAV 2k4 patch ... but I guess they wouldn't advertise such a thing although it might get a few more ppl upgrading.

Can anyone else confirm issues have been "patched" ?

Originally posted by damnyank
Look Here

Patched by running Live-Update!

hmm... now if only that was the problem I have w/ NAV2k4 :( I could surf fine w/ no slow down I could tell (well using mozilla ... never tried w/ IE as its only use is M$update). I did however see crazy lag w/ programs opening (3dmark took a good 5mins to open), now i wonder will this get a fix? :confused:

Symantec is a thorn in my side. We should not have to "pay" for updates. stick with AVG or Kaspersky Labs

Originally posted by andy_rose

Just looked back here for the first time in months. Thank god they've fixed it. Just took out corperate edition and put 2004 in and updated it. Can anyone confirm the patch works?

fixed i guess,....

hey peeps,
well i dont even know how this is a solution (i mean a reasonable one), but here it goes.... my brothers pc had the slowdown while using NORTON ANTIVIRUS and FIREWALL 2004 but mine was fine,... his internet was terribly slow, especially when he went on IE, (it was at normal speed when he disabled firewall).... so today we grabbed a microsoft wireless G router and since my comp is beside the modem i am using an ethernet cable but he got a MS wireless NIC card and for some wierd reason his internet is back to being at normal speed now... theres no slowdown!!!, :) .... so i guess it comes down to certain NIC cards too,.... he had a realtec card before the wireless card and he had all the live updates installed... i guess it has something to do with certain NIC cards.... hope this helps... atleast try a different NIC card, maybe that'll work,.....later

RaZoR

ps... i have a DAVICOM card btw....

I don't see why a AV prog should care or even be bothered by what NIC you have ... I think maybe you just "lucked out" or something. I would still like to know if this update fixes speed of launching apps, as I had not troubles w/ internet speed at all.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back